HMS Hermes extensive military postcard collection

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Willbo_Swaggins

HMS Hermes extensive military postcard collection

Post by Willbo_Swaggins »

Hi there nice to meet all of you avid deltiologists. I have recently inherited a rather large collection of antique postcards which seem to have been collected by someone who served aboard the HMS Hermes from when she was sent to China in the 1920's up until she was sunk by the Japanese in 1942. I figured out it was the from the Hermes by the fact that the postcards topics or origin all seem to mirror the journey of the Hermes and there are some photos of the ship herself aswell. Some of the cards were actually used to send messages home by the collector it seems while he was in service. There are also photos taken from his travels of bazaars, headhunting trophies, snake charmers, men in uniform, military funeral, bi plane test flights, bi plane crashes and wrecked aircraft.

The postcards are incredibly diverse in there origins as they mirror the Hermes movements and include scenes from the Chinese revolution, Japan, Malta, Philippines, Borneo, Hawaii, Thailand (Siam), Bournemouth and more.

https://photobucket.com/u/Philandering_Fudge

This is the link to a couple of photos to give you a general idea of the collection although it is a very small part of the total. There are four full photo albums in total of mainly postcards and a few photographs.

Can't wait to hear what you guys think, do I have something special here or do you need to see more photos?