Database

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

JimODonnell

Database

Post by JimODonnell »

Hi folks,

I am (slowly) putting together a database of my collection - essentially just a slightly improved version of the spreadsheet that I started off with. Given my end-goal of a database-driven web site, what software do other folks use? I scoured around and didn't find anything that I particularly liked, so ended up writing my own; intrigued to see how others handle this.

Kindest, Jim

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Database

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

It's a great achievement to be able to do what you have in mind! Well done! I set my original web page up using Microsoft Frontpage and for the database I started with DB4, then moved to Microsft Access. Old hat, but It still works for me, and I'm sure there are more sophisticated applications out there these days which can give you a decent front end. There are some off the shelf software for collating collectibles, but none so far as I know, that are designed specifically for Post Cards. I might be wrong as I haven't looked around lately, happy with my old legacy system that still works!

best luck! :D
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

JimODonnell

Post by JimODonnell »

The database bit wasn't as painful as I was expecting (I'm using mySQL), and the webby bit has just been a bit of a learning curve (Apache and PHP), but I have to say, scanning in the cards on my rather clunky scanner is the world's dullest job, lol.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

JimODonnell wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:44 am The database bit wasn't as painful as I was expecting (I'm using mySQL), and the webby bit has just been a bit of a learning curve (Apache and PHP), but I have to say, scanning in the cards on my rather clunky scanner is the world's dullest job, lol.
:lol: invest in a Fujitsu Scansnap scanner - that will do the job so much quicker!
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

JimODonnell

Post by JimODonnell »

If I ever end up with more than tuppence-ha'penny to my name, I will!

GabbyyAlex

Post by GabbyyAlex »

Just crazy how you all are enjoying all this!

Maskinla12

Post by Maskinla12 »

I must admit, scanning the cards with my somewhat clumsy scanner has been a bit of a learning curve for the webby part.
run 3