Fifty Mysterious Postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

KathrynShorthand

Fifty Mysterious Postcards

Post by KathrynShorthand »

After quietly and slowly collecting postcards with messages written in Pitman Shorthand for nearly 40 years, last month I had a book published by The History Press. The book's called Fifty Mysterious Postcards: Pitman Shorthand Messages from the Golden Age of the Postcard. Fascinating examples of postcards and the stories written in the dots, dashes, lines, circles and squiggles of Pitman. The ISBN is 9781803990460 and it's available to order from all major booksellers.

rpcollector

Re: Fifty Mysterious Postcards

Post by rpcollector »

This looks great and I've just ordered a copy of your book! I have a couple of cards in my collection with shorthand on the back and always wondered what the message said.

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have a couple of cards with shorthand messages, another with a message in an archaic form of Welsh and another with "mirror" handwriting, probably the work of a print compositor accustomed to reading beds of type used for printing publications.

archeslights

Post by archeslights »

Moonraker wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:21 pm I have a couple of cards with shorthand messages, another with a message in an archaic form of Welsh and another with "mirror" handwriting, probably the work of a print compositor accustomed to reading beds of type used for printing publicationspenalty kick online
Interesting! It would be great if you could share more photos of them.