This Site

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

RAFPOL

This Site

Post by RAFPOL »

:D Hello everyone, "John Boy" here, a new addition to the fold so to speak! Just an introduction really. Initially a stamp collector but awoke one day to see the light! Visited Sunny Skeggy a few years ago, picked up a few comic postcards on the prom. The rest, as they say, is history. I still collect the stamps of Greece, along with the First Day Covers but how can they ever compete with my postcards? No chance! Ex National Serviceman in the Army, followed by Regular Army service, then a spell of eleven years in the Royal Air Force. Now retired and enjoying every minute of it! Oh, this site? Best thing since the proverbial sliced bread!
"John Boy"

Moonraker

Re: This Site

Post by Moonraker »

RAFPOL wrote::D Hello everyone, "John Boy" here, a new addition to the fold so to speak! Just an introduction really. Initially a stamp collector but awoke one day to see the light! Visited Sunny Skeggy a few years ago, picked up a few comic postcards on the prom. The rest, as they say, is history. I still collect the stamps of Greece, along with the First Day Covers but how can they ever compete with my postcards? No chance! Ex National Serviceman in the Army, followed by Regular Army service, then a spell of eleven years in the Royal Air Force. Now retired and enjoying every minute of it! Oh, this site? Best thing since the proverbial sliced bread!
"John Boy"
I too was a keen Commonwealth stamp collector, but got disillusioned with questionable post-colonial issues; then I turned to collecting stamps featuring cyclists, but got disillusioned again, this time with unnecessary issues from tiny countries, especially for every Olympic Games (pre-Olympics, then for the actual games, then medal winners). I discovered postcard collecting in 1996 and research my theme in very great depth; there's so much detail in many postcards - and the messages written on them - and as one's knowledge grows one can look again at the cards and discern something new.

Moonraker

RAFPOL

Re: This Site

Post by RAFPOL »

Moonraker wrote:
RAFPOL wrote::D Hello everyone, "John Boy" here, a new addition to the fold so to speak! Just an introduction really. Initially a stamp collector but awoke one day to see the light! Visited Sunny Skeggy a few years ago, picked up a few comic postcards on the prom. The rest, as they say, is history. I still collect the stamps of Greece, along with the First Day Covers but how can they ever compete with my postcards? No chance! Ex National Serviceman in the Army, followed by Regular Army service, then a spell of eleven years in the Royal Air Force. Now retired and enjoying every minute of it! Oh, this site? Best thing since the proverbial sliced bread!
"John Boy"
I too was a keen Commonwealth stamp collector, but got disillusioned with questionable post-colonial issues; then I turned to collecting stamps featuring cyclists, but got disillusioned again, this time with unnecessary issues from tiny countries, especially for every Olympic Games (pre-Olympics, then for the actual games, then medal winners). I discovered postcard collecting in 1996 and research my theme in very great depth; there's so much detail in many postcards - and the messages written on them - and as one's knowledge grows one can look again at the cards and discern something new.

Moonraker
Yes, I know what you mean, I still have a small collection of Cyprus that has been on the back boiler for more years than I care to remember. Mind you, I always found that country quite conservative with their stamp issues. I had thought about continuing with Cyprus at one time but then got bitten by the postcard bug ! Space is at a premium right now, with albums and boxes etc. in every conceivable crevice!

"John Boy"