New Members

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

RAFPOL

New Members

Post by RAFPOL »

:D I see there are some additional of around 120+ awaiting to be "processed" Please dear God, let a few of them be comic postcard collectors!!!!! and looking for exchanges!
"John Boy"

kevinramsdale

Re: New Members

Post by kevinramsdale »

RAFPOL wrote::D I see there are some additional of around 120+ awaiting to be "processed" Please dear God, let a few of them be comic postcard collectors!!!!! and looking for exchanges!
"John Boy"
Sadly 99% of these will merely be potential spammers, and Mike will have to remove them when he gets the opportunity. Spam posting was a real problem when this forum first started, that's why potential members have to be screeened now, and the spammers don't get any further than the memberlist.
Kevin

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:( Now that is a shame, why would anyone in their right mind become a spammer? Beats me. Now I can understand why Mike has such tiresome task of weeding them out. Got to be good for the legitimate collectors though, more power to Mike's elbow I say!

"John Boy"

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

RAFPOL wrote::( Now that is a shame, why would anyone in their right mind become a spammer? Beats me. Now I can understand why Mike has such tiresome task of weeding them out. Got to be good for the legitimate collectors though, more power to Mike's elbow I say!

"John Boy"
They are in fact automated "spambots" - see the sticky thread

http://postcard.co.uk/board/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=514

for more information.
Kevin

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:D Thank you Kevin.

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

I've just got back from a week away... so there will be a few new registrations to go through (unless Liz has had time to sort) These will be nearly all spambot registrations.. so don't expect too many new users!

Most people ignore the request to email us on registration so all we have to go on is the email address and name.

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:D Good luck with sorting out the new registrations Mike. I still can't understand these idiots, what's the point? Apart from anything else, it spoils things for the rest of us genuine collectors.
"John Boy"

jdcanada

Looking for New Forum Members ?

Post by jdcanada »

Hello All !

If you do want to increase your traffic & # of members in this forum, I am happy to list a link on my web site ( plus a few other web sites I manage ).

My http://www.Postcard-Directory.com is getting a good number of hits by Postcard Dealers and Collectors.

I suggest the Site Moderator and/or Club President can add a listing in the CLUBS category that will be put under " Postcards etc. " absolutely FREE !!

May I also suggest that anyone else with a web site focused on postcards add in a link on their page too.

Janet from Canada

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

I've finally got round to sorting the new 'applications'...

There were about 750 out of which I've activated 10 new accounts - hopefully a few of these are genuine.

... though nobody out of the 750 had emailed independently (as we request) to confirm they were living beings.

The other 740 or so I've assumed were spambots.

tupence

Post by tupence »

Hello, I'm one of the 10 new accounts, just popping in to hi :)

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

tupence wrote:Hello, I'm one of the 10 new accounts, just popping in to hi :)
:D Hello tupence, welcome aboard. What is your particular collecting interest? I don't suppose you are going to make my day and tell me that you are a fanatical collector of comic postacrds?
"John Boy"

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

MichaelDay wrote:I've finally got round to sorting the new 'applications'...

There were about 750 out of which I've activated 10 new accounts - hopefully a few of these are genuine.

... though nobody out of the 750 had emailed independently (as we request) to confirm they were living beings.

The other 740 or so I've assumed were spambots.
Well done Mike. I still find it incredulous that so many of these applications are so called spambots! Never heard of that expression before. There you go, you are never too old to learn!
"John Boy"

tupence

Post by tupence »

RAFPOL wrote:
tupence wrote:Hello, I'm one of the 10 new accounts, just popping in to hi :)
:D Hello tupence, welcome aboard. What is your particular collecting interest? I don't suppose you are going to make my day and tell me that you are a fanatical collector of comic postacrds?
"John Boy"
Hi, John Boy, I used to collect Besley postcards and still have quite a lot (they're on my website if you're interested) , but now I collect postcards from North Wales and the Fylde (Blackpool & the surrounding area).

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

Cheers tupence, I will bear that in mind. Still "struggling" to fill a few gaps in my Pedro/Flip/ Carlos comics. Noticed quite a few on the web but sadly not the numbers I still require. Same applies for my Trow collection.
"John Boy"

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

Several years ago (1998) I started a 'research' section on the postcard.co.uk site.

The idea behind it was to promote and help with research into various postcard themes / publishers etc. This included some checklists to browse or download..

The response to the section was very disapointing and it's kind of got left behind with the recent site overhaul and is waiting for a revamp (and perhaps some help from a few enthusiasts..?)

...anyway, what reminded me about this was that the section included some comic artist checklists.

The pages are still live, but old and the navigation is not linked into the current site.

http://postcard.co.uk/research/download.htm