How old is an 'OLD' postcard?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Baldlygo

How old is an 'OLD' postcard?

Post by Baldlygo »

I've recently bought an 'OLD' un-posted black & white postcard on eBay and was disappointed to find that it must be post 1961 and not what I understand to be 'OLD'.

I am wondering how old should a card be before it should be advertised as old. What do other people think? Is it just me that is totally out of date :?

Paul

kevinramsdale

Re: How old is an 'OLD' postcard?

Post by kevinramsdale »

Baldlygo wrote:I've recently bought an 'OLD' un-posted black & white postcard on eBay and was disappointed to find that it must be post 1961 and not what I understand to be 'OLD'.

I am wondering how old should a card be before it should be advertised as old. What do other people think? Is it just me that is totally out of date :?

Paul
I reckon "old" is a fairly meaningless term best disregarded, what might seem old to the average teenager, could well be classed as "modern" by the average postcard collector, not renowned for their youthfulness in general.

Arguably any card not currently on sale new could be regarded as old.

"Vintage" is another word open to different interpretations.

The recently introduced item specific of pre or post 1945 perhaps gives an indication of what eBay regards as "old" in this field
Kevin

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

I suppose it is a personal interpretation of either a seller or buyer. Me? I would suggest any card within the Edwardian period could reasonably be described as old, but the 1960,s ?? Oh dear me! Certainly not.