Todays Postcard Photographer's 2007 - Are There Any ?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

davyj

Todays Postcard Photographer's 2007 - Are There Any ?

Post by davyj »

Can anyone tell me, or do they know of anyone who is a postcard photograper of todays times ?
They seem to be anonymous, as the subject never seems to arise.
Does that mean that in a 100 years time there will be no postcards from 2007 ?
If there are any postcard photographers around today, do they still photograph events, or street scenes like years gone by ?

I really look forward to everyones comments.

Many Thanks In Advance.

Moonraker

Re: Todays Postcard Photographer's 2007 - Are There Any ?

Post by Moonraker »

davyj wrote:Can anyone tell me, or do they know of anyone who is a postcard photograper of todays times ?
They seem to be anonymous, as the subject never seems to arise.
Does that mean that in a 100 years time there will be no postcards from 2007 ?
If there are any postcard photographers around today, do they still photograph events, or street scenes like years gone by ?

I really look forward to everyones comments.

Many Thanks In Advance.
Not today, but 30 years ago I came across one such gent on the Isle of Wight (which itself is about 20 years behind the rest of the UK - not a bad thing, either). Part of my job then was to arrange the media facilities for royal visits; this meant offering photo opportunities to a small number of accredited press people in buildings visited and along the routes of walkabouts. When the Queen Mother was visiting the Island we spotted an unaccredited gent where he shouldn't have been and challenged him; he toured out to be a postcard photographer, who got stroppy when we asked him to move back; eventually we had to get a plain clothes inspector to move him on; during the "discussion" he left his camera case in front of the royal party walking past the crowds (something that in today's security-conscious environment would be treated far more seriously than we did then).

I suppose that postcards of tourist attractions will still be published, but I can't see there being much of a market for "events" PCs, what with camcorders, mobile phones that can take pics and so on.

Moonraker

reflections

Post by reflections »

There are lots of photographers publishing street scenes all over UK - mostly in a local area. Best is probably Photographic Heritage of Northamptonshire who cover Midlands & North very well. And what about that London Life series from Reflections?
Cards like this don't always get the coverage they deserve from postcard dealers because they are too new!