Wooden postcard?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

The Beak

Wooden postcard?

Post by The Beak »

First of all can I say "Hi everyone" I am very much the new one, new to this forum and fairly new to collecting postcards.

I have been given a number of old postcards by a friend and have found one that seems different from others.

It is a German postcard which was posted in Berlin West on the 29.06.1903 to a lady in Derby, UK. It looks as if it is made of a very thin wood as you can see the grain or it might be wood fibre. It has lovely hand painted flowers alongside the message.

Could it be wood? Was this what was used around this date, particularly overseas? Is it a good find? Any information would be great?

kevinramsdale

Re: Wooden postcard?

Post by kevinramsdale »

The Beak wrote:First of all can I say "Hi everyone" I am very much the new one, new to this forum and fairly new to collecting postcards.

I have been given a number of old postcards by a friend and have found one that seems different from others.

It is a German postcard which was posted in Berlin West on the 29.06.1903 to a lady in Derby, UK. It looks as if it is made of a very thin wood as you can see the grain or it might be wood fibre. It has lovely hand painted flowers alongside the message.

Could it be wood? Was this what was used around this date, particularly overseas? Is it a good find? Any information would be great?
Yes, it could well be made of wood. These are regarded as novelty postcards, and are worth around £3 - though I'm not aware of any demand for these from postcard collectors, I would think such an item would be more likely to find a buyer at an Antique Fair.

(Though possibly this is something different, as the ones I have seen have been fairly obviously wooden)
Kevin