BIPEX 2008

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Andrew

BIPEX 2008

Post by Andrew »

So I'm the first to post here in 2008. :lol:

Having noted the dates for BIPEX 2008, I've booked the time off work. I know that there were a number of negative responses for the 2007 event, but I enjoyed it, and will be there again this year.

Anyone else thinking that far ahead?

Moonraker

Re: BIPEX 2008

Post by Moonraker »

Andrew: congratulations, yours was the first post for more than three weeks, and I was beginning to wonder if anyone was still out there! The dates have been in my diary for some time, and I'll probably be there for one day. It rather depends if I go to a big fair outside the South East beforehand. As I remarked in this Forum after the 2007 Bipex, I see many of the dealers at other fairs close to London and the overseas dealers don't cater for my interests, so my main hope is to look at the stock of dealers from the Midlands and the North.

Moonraker

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:( Never yet made the "piligrimage" to BIPEX and I wonder if the trip down to London and the accompanying problems of parking etc, is worth it? Ebay has helped me enormously to build my collection and the occasional visit to the bi monthly fair at Northampton serves me very well.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

E-bay has helped me too, but with the postage costs, I find I prefer the fairs. BIPEX 2007 saw me add about 200 cards to my collection, at a far cheaper price than if I bought stuff on e-bay. Also, there is far more choice at the fairs. My first BIPEX in 2006 literally blew my mind - but I was more prepared last year. I went for all the days, which gave me more of a chance to look around.

Admittedly, I work in London, so there were no extra travel costs - it was covered under my annual season ticket. Okay, so that has broken the £3000 barrier this year, but it makes use of the days I would have "lost" through being on holiday.

I recommend trying it at least once. I thought once would be enough for me, but I'm hooked.

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:D Thanks for ofering your point of view Andrew. I think for now, at least, I will stick to the local fair and Ebay. To each, his own, I suppose. Maybe one day, mabe one day!

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Andrew wrote:So I'm the first to post here in 2008. :lol:
... I know that there were a number of negative responses for the 2007 event...
What was the general feeling about last year's event? I started a thread on this Forum after I had had a disappointing day at it (followed by a poor day at Woking in September), but I acknowledged that the overseas dealers wouldn't have interested me anyway and that many of the British dealers came from southern England so I had seen them already that year. But I would welcome a balanced view.

Moonraker

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Given that it was only my second BIPEX, I guess my view is unbalanced then :lol:

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Andrew wrote:Given that it was only my second BIPEX, I guess my view is unbalanced then :lol:
It takes lots of individual views to achieve a balanced one. I've been collecting for almost 12 years, so it's a bit more difficult for me to find new material. But recently I've seen few duplicates of cards that I do have.I guess I was lucky to start collecting when I did - but how I wish I had got into the hobby 30 years ago before prices started their upward trend!

Moonraker

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

[/quote]

It takes lots of individual views to achieve a balanced one. I've been collecting for almost 12 years, so it's a bit more difficult for me to find new material. But recently I've seen few duplicates of cards that I do have.I guess I was lucky to start collecting when I did - but how I wish I had got into the hobby 30 years ago before prices started their upward trend!

Moonraker[/quote]

I do wonder if the upward trend will continue over the next 30 years - I suspect so, though probably not so dramatically in percentage terms. Certainly those collectors who got in early made a very wise investment, a far better retirement portfolio than the average pension plan (and eBay makes it possible to realize the full value of the cards, albeit with some work involved)

Anyway rising prices have got to be healthier than falling ones for the hobby.
Kevin

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

kevinramsdale wrote:
II do wonder if the upward trend will continue over the next 30 years - I suspect so, though probably not so dramatically in percentage terms. Certainly those collectors who got in early made a very wise investment, a far better retirement portfolio than the average pension plan (and eBay makes it possible to realize the full value of the cards, albeit with some work involved)

Anyway rising prices have got to be healthier than falling ones for the hobby.[/quote]

Rising prices may be OK for those of us who have been collecting for some time, but I suspect they've caused some people to give up the hobby. But you're right about eBay; until it came along, it was mainly a question of selling to dealers, perhaps at a third of retail (which is fair enough, given that they have to earn a living). So it took a long time to get into a profit situation, even a paper one. And postcards are proving a better investment than stamps, where there are hundreds of copies of the same items available all the time.

(Not that I've ever collected for investment purposes, though I have retained some of the better items from the stamp collection I'm selling off.)

Moonraker

Moonraker

PIMO31

Post by PIMO31 »

Just wondering how many stands will be at Bipex, I hope to be going this year for the first time, so dont really know how big it is...

Regards
Dave

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

PIMO31 wrote:Just wondering how many stands will be at Bipex, I hope to be going this year for the first time, so dont really know how big it is...

Regards
Dave
Dave - a list of the dealers who were at the 2007 event can be found at:

http://www.postcard.co.uk/dealers2007.php

there are always some changes from year to year, but most will be attending again, along with new dealers.
Kevin

reflections

Post by reflections »

My take on the Picture Postcard Show (Bipex) 2008 is this:

The event is intended to be a showpiece for the postcard collecting hobby in the UK, one that provides an exciting source of new cards for experienced collectors and a fascinating and impressive introduction for interested visitors.

It may not have as many dealers as some other events, but the millions of postcards available are generally presented better and the backboards to each stand also allow extra display features. In addition this year there is a major exhibition, "Taking you back to 1908". This comprises two major displays on the 1908 Olympics & the Franco-British Exhibition, along with boards on Transport, Fashion, the Theatre, Sport and lots & lots of other topics relating to 1908. It promises to be a fascinating show of picture postcards.

Now I appreciate that the bottom lines for collectors are
1. how much will it cost to attend the event?
and 2. how many cards am I likely to add to my collection?

but I'd respectfully suggest that maybe we should apply other criteria to this event, given its extra exhibition components and status as the country's no. 1 show. Attending it would also help give the hobby a boost in the eyes of the media and new collectors, and hopefully you'd enjoy being a part of the best buzz in town!

It would also be great if every dealer & part-time dealer not actually having a stall at the fair came along to support the event. The more successful the picture Postcard Show, the more this is likely to rub off on all other postcard events in the following 12 months.

See you 28-30 August!