Major changes on Ebay

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

kevinramsdale

Major changes on Ebay

Post by kevinramsdale »

Lots of changes announced earlier in the week, including amendments to the fee structure and tinkering with the feedback system.

The aspect that intrigues me most (though I'm still wading through the small print on all this) is the new requirement for sellers with over a certain turnover or number of sales to register as business sellers. They won't say what these limits are but I would imagine it could encompass a number of "collectors" in terms of the quantity of items sold.

Appeals against this will be possible - I wonder if "I only sell postcards from my own collection" will be acceptable?

At present it is quite hard to find any postcard sellers on the site whose listings carry the wording "Account type: Business" (including some with 10,000+ feedback) so clearly there are some interesting times ahead.
Kevin

Moonraker

Re: Major changes on Ebay

Post by Moonraker »

kevinramsdale wrote:Lots of changes announced earlier in the week, ...the new requirement for sellers with over a certain turnover or number of sales to register as business sellers...
Which will make it easier for HMRC (that's the taxman) to suss out who should be declaring the income from their eBay sales !

Moonraker

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

Moonraker wrote: Which will make it easier for HMRC (that's the taxman) to suss out who should be declaring the income from their eBay sales !
Moonraker
With a bit of luck it will wipe out 90% of the competition in one go ......

One thing which does concern me is that US sellers have been granted free gallery pictures - which means that all their listings which appear on the UK site will automatically have this feature.

With such an image based product that's a significant advantage over us UK chappies.

:(
Kevin

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:( There you go, the Americans will have an advantage eh? Now why does that not surprise me? Then, with more changes on ebay, it looks as though the tax man might get in on the action !!!! Yes indeed, ROB is alive and well and still thriving (ROB)= That's Rip Off Britain folks !!!!!!

npcollectables

Post by npcollectables »

and now the latest is you MUST offer Paypal..... At the level that most postcards sell for (£2-5) whats the point, by the time we pay ebay and paypal we might as well just empty our wallets into the ebay coffers. We no longer sell with them

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

npcollectables wrote:and now the latest is you MUST offer Paypal..... At the level that most postcards sell for (£2-5) whats the point, by the time we pay ebay and paypal we might as well just empty our wallets into the ebay coffers. We no longer sell with them
Really????

I find that the overall cost of selling on eBay compares very favourably to that of selling at fairs, with the stall rents, travelling costs and discounts granted - plus some cards sell for vastly more than I could ever charge for them "over the counter"

I could go on.

:D
Kevin