Canterbury Postcard (and Collectors) Fair

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Andrew

Canterbury Postcard (and Collectors) Fair

Post by Andrew »

When I walked into the Westgate Hall on Saturday, my first thought was that there were more dealers than usual. More dealers - yes, but not so many postcard dealers. Dealers of stamps, books, medals and other memorabilia seem to be on the increase.

I guess it is a case of demand - and if people who would not go to a postcard fair come in, hopefully they may also browse the postcard stalls.

Good for the dealer, but not so good for the collector of postcards. Despite that, I came away with over 30 cards. I need to buy a good number to make the ever rising travel costs worthwhile.

My thanks to those dealers who showed interest. My apologies to those whose stalls I did not visit, due to time constraints. There will always be another time - or so I hope.

davyj

Re: Canterbury Postcard (and Collectors) Fair

Post by davyj »

Andrew wrote: Despite that, I came away with over 30 cards. I need to buy a good number to make the ever rising travel costs worthwhile.
Andrew I hope you don't mind me asking, but what was the total layout for your 30 cards?
Is it me or do you find the price of cards have got a bit silly, & also has anyone else noticed the great variation in prices with different delers on the same card.
I was at a fair the other day, and saw a card i quite liked but was not prepared to pay £15, i'm glad i didn't as later on another stall i got the same card for only £6. :?:

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I agree that some cards have what I consider silly prices.

This may upset some of the dealers, but I nearly always wander round the fair first, just having a look at the general prices for postcards at each stall. I try to look at similar cards at each one, then return to the ones that I consider the cheaper stalls.

I actually picked up the tip from this website.

However, the cheaper stalls do not always have the best cards, and therefore do end up spending some money at what I consider to be the more expensive stalls. Fortunately cards that form my interest tend not to be too expensive anyhow, and I don't think I've ever spent more than £8 on a single card.

Some of my cards do come from the 50p boxes (sorry dealers, but that's often where I often find some interesting little gems), but I probably average around £2.50 per card.

My haul from the fair last weekend averaged slightly less than £2 per card, but the cheapest one was 30p.