Marjorie C Bates Postcards List

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Reminiscene

Marjorie C Bates Postcards List

Post by Reminiscene »

Does anybody know if there is a definitive list of sketches by Marjorie C Bates which were published as postcards? I know that she was a very prolific artist!
Reminiscene Vintage Postcards and Photographs
http://www.reminiscene.co.uk and http://reminiscene1.blogspot.com

rigoletto33

Re: Marjorie C Bates Postcards List

Post by rigoletto33 »

There is an article from the PPM of December 1984 which I think is still available from their offices. It gives a good comprehensive list of cards published by the British Art Company although I am afraid that it is very poor with regard to cards published by other companies. For example, it lists only 4 by W.A. Lewitt of Nottingham whereas I already have 12 in my small collection and I have 11 with the "Primus" Trade Mark against the 2 listed.

Reminiscene

Post by Reminiscene »

Thanks very much. I'll see if I can track down a copy of the 1984 PPM.
Reminiscene Vintage Postcards and Photographs
http://www.reminiscene.co.uk and http://reminiscene1.blogspot.com

colyjohn

Post by colyjohn »

I have been slowly, over the past 10 years or more, been compiling a List of the 'landmark' scenes by Marjorie Bates. I am still finding new ones appearing - even from abroad. I would like to compare notes/lists with anybody as I am very interested in Marjorie C Bates as the very capable 'Artist' that she was. Has anyone a List of her 'Tudor Rose' commercial promotion Postcards?

npinney

Post by npinney »

colyjohn wrote:I have been slowly, over the past 10 years or more, been compiling a List of the 'landmark' scenes by Marjorie Bates. I am still finding new ones appearing - even from abroad. I would like to compare notes/lists with anybody as I am very interested in Marjorie C Bates as the very capable 'Artist' that she was. Has anyone a List of her 'Tudor Rose' commercial promotion Postcards?
I work with an elderly gentleman who is an avid fan and is also compiling a list so maybe we could compare lists. He has nearly all of the postcards and some prints in his collection but we keep finding more.

If you get this reply could you get in touch. Thanks

colyjohn

Post by colyjohn »

I don't know whether you are the same person with whom I have had correspondence but I am happy to compare Lists of this artist's work. I now have a List of something like 200 locations which Marjorie Bates illustrated. However, I am continuing to find new ones and also finding that they have either been done as Postcards and/or larger Prints. At the moment this is never-ending research.
Colyjohn

npinney

Post by npinney »

It was me that you were emaiing yes

lordkevin8

Post by lordkevin8 »

Thanks for the nice post...
lord

MGO

Post by MGO »

Just looking through a small pile of Artist proofs (postcards) - inherited recently.

All are mounted

Two by Marjorie C Bates

Harlech Castle and Beaumaris Castle

Other artist proofs are by W Edwin Law - all of North Wales scenes - all signed on the mount.

jasmine78888

Post by jasmine78888 »

I work with an elderly gentleman who is an avid fan and is also compiling a list so maybe we could compare lists. He has nearly all of the postcards and some prints in his collection but we keep finding more. :lol:

USMAN
Last edited by jasmine78888 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jasmine

colyjohn

Post by colyjohn »

To MGO - Your February Post. (Sorry, I have only just spotted it!) You say 'Artist Proof' Please could you explain what you mean by that expression? Are they printed postcards? Please get in touch with me to discuss.
colyjohn