March PPM

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

ECooper

March PPM

Post by ECooper »

Picked up a copy of Postcard Monthly at the weekend. Having not taken it for a while I was quite surprised and think it's improved alot since I last had a copy. I was particularly interested in the articles on Lampeter and Liverpool both of which have connections for me.

A shame we can't get at the newsagents though! I'll just have to make do with buying it occasionally when I get to fairs.

Does anybody else think it's got better or is it just me?

kevinramsdale

Re: March PPM

Post by kevinramsdale »

ECooper wrote:Picked up a copy of Postcard Monthly at the weekend. Having not taken it for a while I was quite surprised and think it's improved alot since I last had a copy. I was particularly interested in the articles on Lampeter and Liverpool both of which have connections for me.

A shame we can't get at the newsagents though! I'll just have to make do with buying it occasionally when I get to fairs.

Does anybody else think it's got better or is it just me?
I know that in the past the publishers have looked into the possibility of securing a wider distribution for this excellent magazine.

I suspect there simply isn't the potential sales volume to justify it.

Why not take out a postal subscription to ensure getting a copy every month?

Have a look at:

http://www.postcardcollecting.co.uk/
Kevin

ECooper

Post by ECooper »

THanks for that Kevin. I'll think about a subscription.
Probably just a personal weakness but I find that if I buy a magazine from newsagent etc. however infrequent, I'll take the trouble to read it cover to cover. When I've had subscriptions in the past they get overlooked, drop on the doormat and get shuffled to one side, sometimes remaining in their plastic bag envelopes for months afterwards or just end up in the recycling unread.

I suppose I just need to be in the right frame of mind to buy AND read them.

wakadowakado

Post by wakadowakado »

Hi ECooper, As you know I have only recently been involved with cards and it is definitely good value for the money with plenty of interesting topics. My product sold well in the picture ads Brian

ECooper

Post by ECooper »

Thanks, I do appreciate it (PPM) I've been buying it infrequently for years. Just reluctant to go for a subscription as I don't always have time to read it, when working away and it would be a waste.

reflections

Post by reflections »

My take on the Picture Postcard Show (Bipex) 2008 is this:

The event is intended to be a showpiece for the postcard collecting hobby in the UK, one that provides an exciting source of new cards for experienced collectors and a fascinating and impressive introduction for interested visitors.

It may not have as many dealers as some other events, but the millions of postcards available are generally presented better and the backboards to each stand also allow extra display features. In addition this year there is a major exhibition, "Taking you back to 1908". This comprises two major displays on the 1908 Olympics & the Franco-British Exhibition, along with boards on Transport, Fashion, the Theatre, Sport and lots & lots of other topics relating to 1908. It promises to be a fascinating show of picture postcards.

Now I appreciate that the bottom lines for collectors are
1. how much will it cost to attend the event?
and 2. how many cards am I likely to add to my collection?

but I'd respectfully suggest that maybe we should apply other criteria to this event, given its extra exhibition components and status as the country's no. 1 show. Attending it would also help give the hobby a boost in the eyes of the media and new collectors, and hopefully you'd enjoy being a part of the best buzz in town!

It would also be great if every dealer & part-time dealer not actually having a stall at the fair came along to support the event. The more successful the picture Postcard Show, the more this is likely to rub off on all other postcard events in the following 12 months.

See you 28-30 August!