Perforations

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

ECooper

Perforations

Post by ECooper »

At the weekend I came across a booklet of views for Gibraltar I'd bought in an auction job lot,
some of the cards were missing from the book presumably having been torn out and posted.
What are these tear out cards (ciraca 1920?) worth when compared to normal views without the perforated edge?
Is it better to leave them in the booklet?

kevinramsdale

Re: Perforations

Post by kevinramsdale »

ECooper wrote:At the weekend I came across a booklet of views for Gibraltar I'd bought in an auction job lot,
some of the cards were missing from the book presumably having been torn out and posted.
What are these tear out cards (ciraca 1920?) worth when compared to normal views without the perforated edge?
Is it better to leave them in the booklet?

From a historical point of view it would be better if these booklets remained intact, from a commercial point of view the cards would generally fetch more sold individually, which is why they are often split up. Although tending to be largely uncollected views of tourist areas, there can be sometimes be more interesting items within.

It could be argued that the cards were originally designed to be removed from the booklet, so no real harm is done.

Collectors usually prefer cards without perforated edges so it is common for these to be cut off by dealers, leaving a slightly smaller card than usual in most cases.
Kevin

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Re: Perforations

Post by MichaelDay »

We find they tend to get 'overlooked' in stock, even though they have interesting cards in them. So we're often tempted to split them - which as Kevin says was the original intention.