BOOK POST CARD

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Patricia

BOOK POST CARD

Post by Patricia »

I have just bought some Postcard albums 1903 at an auction. In one of them there are Book Postcards, like book marks with actresses on 1902 to 1904. I have never seen these before, can anyone tell me about them. They are nice cards.
Where they popular? are they rare? have I just missed them at postcard fairs?.
(Could be the start of a whole new collection for me) :?

Patricia

kevinramsdale

Re: BOOK POST CARD

Post by kevinramsdale »

Patricia wrote:I have just bought some Postcard albums 1903 at an auction. In one of them there are Book Postcards, like book marks with actresses on 1902 to 1904. I have never seen these before, can anyone tell me about them. They are nice cards.
Where they popular? are they rare? have I just missed them at postcard fairs?.
(Could be the start of a whole new collection for me) :?

Patricia
These are fairly common, with an average catalogue value of around £2 each (depending on the subject matter), but interesting items nonetheless.

They are not in much demand at postcard fairs (more of an antique fair line) so the reason you haven't seen them is probably that many dealers wouldn't bother to stock them. If they do have them, they might well be in the "Novelty" section.
Kevin

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

Thank you

Patricia

jofus65

Post by jofus65 »

I help to run the Bookmark Society, and our meeting in Epsom on April 20th is on the subject of Book Post Cards and their publishers. I have been producing a listing for about ten years now (it currently runs to 30 A4 pages), which is constantly being aded to as members report new finds.
Briefly: These novelty PCs were produced world-wide in the first quarter of the 20th century. Britain would seem to have been the most prolific producer from 1903 to 1905 or so, followed by Italy (very large numbers of series, mainly of Venice, peaking in the early 1920s). In Britain, the main subjects were actresses, actors, politicians and royalty, and animals. But there were also quite a number of topographical subjects. Rotary Photo produced by far the largest number, in about five series, followed by Raphael Tuck (16 series of 12 each), Philco, Beagles, Giesens and a number of others. Some re-used photos that were produced by other publishers. Many are numbered, thank goodness! There are Dutch, French, Spanish, Portuguese, American, Canadian, Egyptian sets as well.
Not that many bookmark collectors are enthusiasts; apart from Raphael Tuck, who do call them Bookmarkers, there is some discussion about whether they are actually bookmarks or not. Those who have given them the benefit of the doubt defend them fiercely and collect avidly!
I would welcome any contributions from this site - information, any articles that have been written on them, lists of subjects and numbers, etc.

jofus

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

I can get a list together of the numbers and names of the actresses of the ones I have, (13 so far), they are mostly Rotary series and one, The Philco Publisher Co., If you would like :lol:

Patricia

jofus65

Post by jofus65 »

Yes, please, Patricia, that would be much appreciated. If you would include any letters that appear after the numbers, that would also help (letters indicate different poses or roles by the same person).

Thank you,

Jofus65

Patricia

Post by Patricia »

OK I will do that over the next few days

Patricia :D