Deltiologists -Your most interesting story

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

wakadowakado

Deltiologists -Your most interesting story

Post by wakadowakado »

Hi everyone (including non-posters} Spare a little time and tell us your most significant experience involving this fascinating
hobby. Lets see if we can raise a response from five members at least! Best wishes WAK

Andrew

Re: Deltiologists -Your most interesting story

Post by Andrew »

One interesting story is probably of little interest to others - it was in coming across a particular postcard of Bramber Castle in Sussex. I have seen other copies of this postcard for sale on e-bay since, but that is irrelevant. The postcard pictures the chapel in the castle, and is from a painting by C. Wolseley.

In the painting are two stone heads, and I can place the scene because my parents live close to the castle (and I did a lot of my courting there). These two stone heads are no longer at the castle, but I asked my father whether he knew about them. Only turns out that they were missing from the castle for many years, and one was found in the garden of the cottage my parents now live in.

wakadowakado

Post by wakadowakado »

Thank you Andrew, a nice human story. It leaves the thread one made - four to go, who is next? Let another dimension
appear on this excellent site. WAK

Colin

Post by Colin »

We are used to seeing the same old greetings on most postcards, but occasionally there is something unusual and noteworthy in the scrawled message. I have a court-size postcard showing a bluish Westminster Abbey with the following message which I transcribe the way it appears on the card: "Dear Lydia, We have arrived safe in London the trip on the ocean was grand neither one of us was sick. one of the woman from the steerage jump over board she left two children behind her Monday we are going to Paris . . ."