Mirrored Postcard

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Kelv

Mirrored Postcard

Post by Kelv »

I bought a 1920s postcard recently of a scene that I know well. I thought that there was something odd about it and realised that it is actually a mirror image of the real view. The things that should be on the left are on the right and vice-versa. Does anyone know whether this happened often with old cards? Do you think it adds to the value or detracts from it?

Andrew

Re: Mirrored Postcard

Post by Andrew »

This happened occasionally when photographers printed images back-to-front by accident. My parents have a lovely photograph produced professionally of a view of their village - but it is in reverse. Hundreds of copies were sold.

I suspect though this does not happen often, and like stamps, could well be worth more than the correct image.

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

Interesting. I too have a mirrored image of the Edwardian actress Gladys Cooper, posing in a doorway with one of her children. I am left wondering which of the two cards is the geniune article?

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

I suspect that the early publishers were often aware that a printing error had been made, but decided to have a go at flogging them anyway, rather than write them off.

Sadly, unlike stamps where such errors could potentially fund a retirement, it's curiosity value only for postcards.
Kevin

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

kevinramsdale wrote:Sadly, unlike stamps where such errors could potentially fund a retirement, it's curiosity value only for postcards.
Yes, when these have cropped up with us, the collectors have actually been disapointed about the image being incorrect, rather than excited by the printing error.

Colin

Post by Colin »

Just registered today, and this is my first post to the messageboard. One of my favorite postcards is a view of London Bridge from Southwark with St Magnus Martyr on the left and Fishmongers' Hall on the right. Another labels Southwark Bridge as Blackfriars Bridge. And a perennial offering on online auctions is a view of "Wordsworth's Grave, Westminster Abbey" (the one in Grasmere must be another Wordsworth).