WW1 postcards Salonika

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

MorganRenshaw

WW1 postcards Salonika

Post by MorganRenshaw »

Hello from a newbie. Today looking through my shoeboxes of postcards collected since the 50s, I found a set of 18 (apparently) French postcards with pictures of Greece, mainly of Salonique in 1917, looking very war-torn. The pictures are printed (ie not real photos) with captions in French and English, and the reverses are divided, with Carte Postale across the top, Correspondance on L and Addresse on R. Most have nothing else printed on the reverse but some have a bit of tiny "handwriting-lookalike" printing sideways up the LH side which seems to say "Joy... E Le Deloy, Paris. Some have "Edition Parisiana, Paris" printed across the bottom of the "Correspondance" section. All are unused, but in my childhood I did write "Greece" across the top LH corner of each, don't know if that affects value. They are all 14x9 cm, or thereabouts. Anyway I wonder if these postcards are unusual or particularly collectable? They seem so to me as a newbie, :? compared to the hundreds of brightly coloured Clacton and Yarmouth type cards in my boxes, but I'd love the opinions of people more expert... In hope, Celia Renshaw in Chesterfield UK :?

Kelv

Re: WW1 postcards Salonika

Post by Kelv »

Celia
Postcards of war-torn Thessaloniki (or Salonique) are not particularly rare although they are certainly very collectable. It does surprise me that they are not worth more but a lot were produced so many of these cards sell on ebay for just a couple of pounds. Some particularly interesting and unusual views do sell for a lot more - as always it depends on the image (you can do an advanced search of completed listings for Salonique to get an idea of the range). Personally, I find them very interesting as a social history - you can't imagine someone selling postcards in a warzone today can you?