Some assistance required :)

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

potti

Some assistance required :)

Post by potti »

Hello there
I just signed up to this board after trawling the internet for hours looking for some info on postcards. I am not a collector hwoever I am about to put some old postcards on ebay as they would be better off with a collector. When lisiting items I try and research as much as I can so that the listing has enough detail that any bidder/buyer can make a fair assumption about what he/she is getting. I have found it quite hard to research postcards.... maybe I am not stumbling across the right sites but now I have got here maybe some of you lovely collectors can help me. :?

The cards are of varying condition from Excllent to good to watermark on corners. Probably worth 99p or at most a couple of quid. But I still want to list tem right.

This is the list of what I am researching and would like to know about the artist or printer or dates or all 3!

Raphael Tuck and sons calendar series 285 - (Jack in Office) by Sir Edward Landseer
Pictorial Postal card - by Edmund G Fuller - (Grateful Shade & Hollands)
Rachael Tuck and sons art series 2846- phototyped in Germany - ( easter Greetings & With best wishes for easter (both with chicks on)
ETW Dennis and son ltd - phototone - (the swimming pond - dunbar)
F Frith and Co ltd Reigate - No 65279(Ashburton the Bullring and Ashburton West street)
WW1 - rough sea piccie - My address is c/o GPO
bells Photo Co Ltd Westcliffe on Sea - a real photograph ( the river ouse, hemingford grey)
A07136 the dolphin series haywards heath (The chequers hotel horley) printed in treves (colour)
Chapman and son Dawlish real photo (Dawlish from the railway 12625)
Rapael Tuck and sons "silverette" series 1578(evesham the vicarage; Evesham house ferry; market place & Booth hall)
No printer colour card (Pound Green Freshwater looking NE)
Photochrom co ltd (Edinburgh St Giles Cathedral; Princes street from scott monument; prices street showing scotts monument)
Valentines Bromotype postcard (Edinburgh castle changing the guard)
No printer mark... balck and white card (The shaft of the saxon preaching cross, Priory of St Nicholas, Exeter)

I am happy to email pics of particular postcards to people if they need.

Thanks very much... I am getting a headache now lookig through the magnifying glass and scouring the internet.

happy Sunday to you all :D

kevinramsdale

Re: Some assistance required :)

Post by kevinramsdale »

Hi potti - I don't think you need to go into a great deal of detail in order to sell cards on eBay.

A good clear scan and an accurate description of the condition are the main considerations. Just naming the artist, publisher or photographer would be sufficient (serious collectors would know all about them anyway, casual buyers would probably not be greatly interested)

Dating postcards can be tricky if you aren't used to dealing with them. For used cards this is a useful site (posted on here by Mike recently on another thread)

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_PC_0/0_po ... s-1952.htm

With unused cards, if the inland postage rate is given as a halfpenny then the card is pre 1918. Otherwise "old", "vintage" or "early " would generally suffice.
Kevin

potti

Post by potti »

Hi and thanks for your response Kevin. The cards are all unused and many bear the postage half penny rate so are obviously pre 1918. I will stick them on ebay and see if anyone wants them! Seems a shame to have them hanging about when someone might want to give them a home. :lol:

Reminiscene

Post by Reminiscene »

I agree with Kevin. However, when I sell postcards on eBay I also tend to state whether or not the card has been postally used and, if so, when. I certainly wouldn't go to the trouble of researching each card otherwise it might take forever to list them :!:

potti

Post by potti »

Thanks Reminiscene
I have listed a few just to test the water. I think I'll revise the listings and make sure they say postally unused. :)