Copyright laws to do with postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

nestonlad

Copyright laws to do with postcards

Post by nestonlad »

Hi,
I've just joined the forum and i'm looking for a bit of advice.I've been collecting for a year now,mainly photo postcards showing the area around were i live,neston,burton and parkgate and i wanted to post some of the cards on a website about my area to see if anybody recognises some of the pictures i'm having problems identifying.The problem is i'm not sure if i can do this due to copyright laws.Some of the cards do have copyright written on them but most do not,can anyone advise me if i can put them on the website.
Cheers

DahliaGirl

Re: Copyright laws to do with postcards

Post by DahliaGirl »

Hi. Just read your post. I think the Patent Office may be able to help you here - the organisation deals with all types of patent/copyright issues etc.

Unfortunately, I don't know where they are located today - I worked for the Library Association many years ago (1970s-late 1980s) in Ridgemount Street, London, and at that time the Patent Office was in Holborn, and I used to go there quite regularly. However, the Patent Office's buiding was very old and there was talk of relocating elsewhere.

I have a vague recollection of discussions about the Patent Office moving to, what was at that time, the NEW British Library building in the Euston area of London. However, I came to Suffolk before the new site was fully functional. There must be websites with information/contact addressses which may be of help to you.

Good luck with your endeavours.

DahliaGirl

nestonlad

Post by nestonlad »

Cheers Dahliagirl,
I will google the patent office and see what comes up

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Many postcards that are a century old and bear copyright attributions have been reproduced in local and topical histories. In practice it is almost impossible to trace most of today's copyright holders. I believe that W H Smith published PCs under several imprints, and one or two small family firms may survive today, where it is relatively easy to approach them for permission to reproduce cards. One example is T L Fuller of Amesbury, who published many local postcards, including those of soldiers and army camps; the business continues to this day and likes permission to be sought for the cards to be reproduced.

If I wished to reproduce a card published by J T Bloggs of Blinktown I would check with Yellow Pages or via Google to see if a photographic business of similar name still exists.

I suspect that most authors just go ahead and reproduce cards, perhaps with a blanket disclaimer that "every effort has been made to trace copyright owners; any who have not been acknowledged are invited to contact the author/publisher".

Moonraker

nestonlad

Post by nestonlad »

Cheers moonraker