Dating postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

nestonlad

Dating postcards

Post by nestonlad »

I've been looking up information on dating my postcards and have come across plenty of useful information one piece being a list of pre 1940 friths catalogue numbers and the year they were printed.Does anyone have any links to other catalogue lists,i would be particularly interested in friths after 1940

Cheers

Dave43

Re: Dating postcards

Post by Dave43 »

I have lists (which I bought on e bay) of Friths, Valentines and Judges but I think you can date Friths on their website (which is good anyway) and valentines on the University of Dundee website. Actually the lists don't extend before postcards were "invented" which is a bit silly. I collect London postcards and the earliest valentine I have, altho used 1900-1910, has an image taken in 1883! Will check my Friths, not got many Judges, Dave
PS Old images is not that unusual, possibly the most popular London card today is kids with punk hairstyles, and that must be 25 years ago!

nestonlad

Post by nestonlad »

Cheers Dave will check out dundee university and friths websites

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

sorry, senior moment, St Andrews University, Special collection, not Dundee, well it's all north of watford!