Paper picture postcards?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

JTeUser

Paper picture postcards?

Post by JTeUser »

I inherited some used ( with postmarks and some with stamps) and unused postcards from around 1909 showing scenes from round the UK. Some are photo poscards and are in black and white. Some are colour and have an unusual finish on them. They are in quite good condition because they were in a beautiful album that seems to be made specifically for postcards. Unfortunately the leather album is falling apart. It is a burgandy colour with a what appears to be a lily with word album embossed on the cover. As I live in Australia, is there any way of having the postcards and album dated and valued with any accuracy? Is there any way to have the album repaired? Also included in the album were 4 paper photo postcards with no division or place for stamps. they look flimsy, homemade or copied but at the same time they look extremely old, I admit I am confused by them. Of the 4 only one has writing on the back.

nestonlad

Re: Paper picture postcards?

Post by nestonlad »

I think as a rule if the postcard has no division on the back it means it is pre 1902.You were only allowed to write the address on the back and there was usually a small space on the front to the side of the picture for writing a message.

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

Undivided back 'postcards' would still have a stamp space...
Real photo postcards with undivided back do turn up occasionally, but it's more likely these are just postcard sized photos, especially if they are on a thin / flimsy (single weight?) paper.

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

...or, dare I say, postcards that got damp and seperated from the backing? Dave