Hi, new and with a quiery

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

sylus

Hi, new and with a quiery

Post by sylus »

Sorry to leap just straight in with a question

In around the early to mid 70's the Hull Daily Mail did a tram/eletric bus post card collection. you saved the tokens every week and then handed them in for a set of 10 cards, this went on for a total of 6 weeks giving a collection of 60 cards. My grandad used to live in Hull and so he collected them for me when I was a nipper

I now, at 45 still have them and they have gone every where with me mostly never leaving an envelope or draw. The supplier/printer is shown as ...
published at bridgnorth, salop by prescott - pickup & co ltd. they are 5 1/2 inches long by 3 1/2 inches high and are the full set of 60

I remember on one occasion when I went to visit him in the summer holidays collecting the tokens then getting the cards

Now the odd bit.. we sent the tokens in and we recieved the cards as they were issued a full set of 60 and all of the pictures are of the same style and quality
but on the backs things are different

they are not numbered 1 to 60, but at various stages it will miss a number then have a card and the same number with b example 23, 24, 26, 26b

also the backings there are 3 different types one is plain text in a lightish mid blue, the others are in the same style but a lightish grey and the last type is a very ornate style with the information in a greenish colour in a oval with tramcyclopedia at the top and tramcars & tramways trackless trams at the bottom of the oval with what appears to be a tram hub with lightning going through it

obviously pictures would help and I will try to post a few if I can suss how to do that

I am asking the U.K. forums as they are more knowledgeable and I now live in the states

Like I said I will try and post some pictures and i am also appreciative of any further info you could give. Thanks

sylus

Re: Hi, new and with a quiery

Post by sylus »

Okay I have taken a few pictures and hope these come out ok..admin if they are to big please let me know

These are just a few on the pictures with the previously mentioned backs

I can already tell I havn't got the drift of this computer picture thing but I hope you get the idea

ECooper

Re: Hi, new and with a quiery

Post by ECooper »

I think these Prescott Pickup cards were sold through regional newspapers all over the UK.

We've got some here in the Royalty series, which I've seen quite alot of at auctions. Princess Diana etc.
I've seen quite a few different series for Royalty.
Haven't enough here to guess what the numbering system means though, sorry.