Intro:Historic Photographs of the Coastline of Morecambe Bay

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

PeterBannon

Intro:Historic Photographs of the Coastline of Morecambe Bay

Post by PeterBannon »

Hi All,

My name is Peter Bannon and I am currently studying for a PhD in Environmental Science at Lancaster University. The main objective of the study is to look at long term changes in the coastal morphology of Morecambe Bay through the use of old Postcards and Photographs, so I have begun to collect them for various sites around the southern end of the Bay. I have currently collected and digitised approximately 60 postcards for Heysham and have georeferenced them into a Geographical Information System (GIS) via ESRI's ArcGIS system.

I was hoping that if anyone has any old postcards or indeed photographs even from the 1970's + for Heysham or other areas, to get in touch with me so that I can further build on the collection. I have just opened a new blog at http://petesphdblog.blogspot.com which although is completely empty, will be used as my main portal for sharing my progress with the PhD as well as various other topics which are of interest.

Does anybody know of any fairs/websites that would be relevant for collecting postcards for the area?

Thanks for reading,

Pete

PeterBannon

Re: Intro:Historic Photographs of the Coastline of Morecambe Bay

Post by PeterBannon »

I'm trying to trace a publisher, Matthews, Bradford. Does anyone have any information about this publisher or any pointers to where I might get the information? I've had no such luck with a google search, and there isnt much information provided in Coysh's dictionary of Picture Postcards

Pete

Dave43

Re: Intro:Historic Photographs of the Coastline of Morecambe Bay

Post by Dave43 »

Again, you might try to see if there are old Bradford Trade Directories on the University of Leicester website or purchase the old directory on CD, Stepping Stones used to do them