from where do most of the valuable postcards come from?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

marvino

from where do most of the valuable postcards come from?

Post by marvino »

Hi everyone,
My knowledge on postcard collecting is extremely limited but I involved myself in an interesting project at university where I need to identify collectibles trends in Europe.
Considering postcards as one of the leaders of the collectibles pact, I would like to know from which European countries do most of the valuable postcards come from? Top 5 countries?

Many Thanks in Advance!

nestonlad

Re: from where do most of the valuable postcards come from?

Post by nestonlad »

I have been collecting a certain area in the uk for about 3 years now and the most i have paid is about £35,you might be able to check out sale prices on a website like ebay were you can check for cards for sale all around the globe.With postcards being what they are the price might be influenced more by say a rare stamp used in the posting rather than the card itself

nestonlad

Post by nestonlad »

A good european site is this one http://www.delcampe.net/page/main/language,E.html
which might help you out

tonymckendrick

Post by tonymckendrick »

France is the leader in terms of valuable cards e.g Art Nouveau, Glamour, Social History.
Germany is probably second with its sheer number of early Chromo lithographed Gruss types.
UK is third - topographical, silks and shipping fetching the highest prices.
Italy is fourth - railway, advertising and political.
There is no obvious candidate for fifth place. All the other european countries are miles behind.
Ireland, Belgium, Greece or Spain have pockets of interest but relatively few high value postcards.