New to the Game !!

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

RAMSY

New to the Game !!

Post by RAMSY »

Hi firstly i wanna introduce myself my name is Andy im 28 from West Midlands U.K Now im totally new to this game of collecting Real Postcards the thing is im about to purchase some cards from my local town from many years ago no the price range is from £65 down to about £20 each is this the normal price for such cards also how can i tell that these cards are real ,

To most this is a very stupid question but i have to start somehere as most of you have and i dont wanna make mistakes from day

Once again Thank you in advance for your help and ill look forward to any replys that i hopefulyy get

Regards

Andy

antiquepostcards

Re: New to the Game !!

Post by antiquepostcards »

RAMSY wrote:the price range is from £65 down to about £20 each is this the normal price for such cards also how can i tell that these cards are real
Crikey, that sounds like a lot. Do you have more details about the postcards, e.g. their age, have they all been sent or not (postally used / postally unused). Are they real photo postcards often simply called RPPCs, or photo-offset prints?

RAMSY

Post by RAMSY »

Hi thanks for getting back to me they are Real postcards some are used and some are unused but they are all real postcards

What do you think is it worth buying them.

Look forward to your reply

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Does sound a lot, especially if the subjects are fairly bland. But PCs showing special occasions (Royal visits, processions), identifiable shop fronts, vehicles (eg traction engines) and railway stations command a premium. I can't recall seeing many "town" cards going for much more than £30. Who's offering them to you?

antiquepostcards

Post by antiquepostcards »

Moonraker wrote:I can't recall seeing many "town" cards going for much more than £30. Who's offering them to you?
I agree, is it a local dealer trying to sell them in a shop? Unless it is very very special to someone, it would be hard to sell a local scene for more than £10-15 IMPO. In my experience, if I am going to charge £30+ to a customer, it has to be worth £30+, e.g. a special/interesting scene, a well known scene, very very old card (and proof that it is), an interesting message, has a rare stamp on it, or is a good record of history etc.

Have a look on ebay, there are loads of postcards on there, see if you can find something similar, and see what the prices are like. I think half the fun can be the research of the location or subject matter. Also go along to your local charity shop, most have donated postcards, and I have found some very interesting ones in charity shops in the past. They will be cheap too.

If you are getting into collecting, you need to have a good think about what you want to collect. It can be all too easy to get carried away and want to buy anything and everything (I talk from experience when I started). At first, pick your subject and stick to it I say. When you are new to the game the hardest question, is what is this card worth, is this a good price. If you are just starting off, unless a card is clearly very valuable, don't pay more than a few pounds and you won't be burnt. After you get some experience then you can start to look at more expensive cards. The worst thing you want is to be ripped off on your first purchase and then be put off collecting cards for the rest of your life.

On the face of it, given the price, I would not personally buy them to be honest, without further info or pictures I would say they sound overpriced. But maybe we have missed something, but without seeing them, we just don't know. Play it safe lad, you could get a lot of cards from other sources for that money!

James

RAMSY

Post by RAMSY »

Hi thanks for the replys the pictures are mainly of local shops etc in my town also one is of the high street with a traction engine in it , some have been posted and some have not the ones that have been posted are dated 1906 there are 5 with thsi date there is also 2 with 1912 on them the others havent been posted,

Too be honest the reason im buying them is because im in the pub game and i want to set up a pub in my loal town based on themed area if you get my drift but after being offered a number of things from my area ive really took a liking to the cards so i said to myself that i would start collecting as i think it could be very interesting

Sorry to be a pin but like i said i dont wanna go out and pay nearly 500 for about 20 cards if they are a load of rubbish the seller has assured me they are geuine ive also checked up wit previous people who have brought from him and they say he is a genuine man

dunbarutd

Post by dunbarutd »

I would take "James,s" advice and check out e-bay , Google a search for postcards of your subject choice etc, the prices you qoute are very high :shock: to say the least .

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Asking £50 or a bit more for a good shot of a traction engine is not unreasonable, especially if it's in an identified or identifiable location.

Moonraker

RAMSY

Post by RAMSY »

The thing is i am still in 2 minds cause 500 Pounds is alot of money for such a small amount of cards and noing hardly anything about collecting makes it harder.

But to be honest the way im looking at it is i like them so the cash should not be the problem but there always that doubt sorry for being a pain , i no im gonna end up buying them Ha Ha!!

The pictrue with the traction engine in it is alot cheaper the most expensive is the one of them digging the town up to instal the tram lines.

Im just waitinf ro the dealer to get back to me becuase ive asked him for a cheaper rate.

Thanks for all your help guys

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

£65 for a real photo pc of installing tram lines is probably ok..

RAMSY

Post by RAMSY »

Thanks you Michael im going ahead with the my first cards to my collection.

Thanks for all your help guys i look forward to more chats .

Is there a way i can show you the cards on here

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

You can use one of the free online image hosting sites such as http://www.photobucket.com then add the links they provide [img]....[/img] to your posts

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

RAMSY wrote:Thanks you Michael im going ahead with the my first cards to my collection.

Thanks for all your help guys i look forward to more chats .

Is there a way i can show you the cards on here
Just joined the forum - welcome to the mad world of postcard collecting - value (?) of a postacrd comes with a bit of accumalated knowledge and what your pocket allows - the best way to get some idea is to visit a Postcard Fair - here you can view and chat and compare prices with collectors and dealers alike...........

Meantime - look forward to seeing your 'Gems' online - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~ send it on a Postcard please ~