Ida Rentoul Outhwaite postcards

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Firefly

Ida Rentoul Outhwaite postcards

Post by Firefly »

Hi! I have just registered on this site as it said people could come and ask questions. I'm going through my grandmother's things and have found 12 postcards (2 copies of 1 design so 11 different designs) of Elves and Fairies illustrations by Ida Rentoul Outhwaite. None of them have been used or written on. I looked them up on ebay and individual ones seem to be going at good prices. Can anyone advise on whether I'd be better trying to sell them separately or as a set? And would anyone be interested in them? Thanks!

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Ida Rentoul Outhwaite postcards

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

hello Firefly - oh yes, they certainly are desirable postcards - a recent catalogue I have lists them at £25 each! - but I would suggest half that would be a more realistic value to go on - I might be wrong and condition is the key to it all - the better (like new) condition then top prices can be asked. Although there are twelve postcards, they are not necessarily a set if there is duplication, even one - otherwise a premium could be asked for a whole set, which must be rare these days

- well, you have some lovely cards - I believe they are by the publisher A & C Black, series 71 or 72? - I will e'mail a pal who may be interested in buying these, so long as they are in good (mint) condition - hope this helps
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Firefly

Re: Ida Rentoul Outhwaite postcards

Post by Firefly »

Thanks for your reply! Yes they are A&C Black, 7 are of Series 74 (including the duplicate) which don't have borders, and 5 are of Series 76 which have white borders. They are in excellent condition. I don't know how many cards are in each series as to whether they'd be full sets? Do you know how old they are likely to be? Were they designed to be sent to children?

Thanks very much for letting your friend know :)