Wanted: WHA and YC postcards

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

santadog99

Wanted: WHA and YC postcards

Post by santadog99 »

Hello folks, I'm looking to buy any WHA postcards (WH Applebee of Ashford Middx) and YC postcards (Young & Co of Teddington Middx).

WHA cards are well known and cover the Middlesex, Surrey, Berks, Bucks and Hants areas, and date between 1912 and 1929. The cards have neat writing and the letters WHA followed by a number.

YC cards cover a slightly smaller area, Middx and Surrey, with a few West London. They feature a distinctive logo of a Y over a C and equally distinctive elegant lettering. They tend to date from 1905 to 1918 or so. Mr Young's initials may have been RCY.

Some YC cards were "re-branded" as WHA cards.

I am willing to pay good prices for the best cards. I am also trying to find out as much information as I can about these publishers, I have already done a little research. If you have any info about them I'd be delighted to hear from you. There have been a few articles about WHA in Picture Postcard Monthly (some of which contained inaccuracies in my humble opinion). I may try to compile a list of WHA numbers in the future for an online database.

Thank you,
Howard

santadog99

Post by santadog99 »

Well, I didn't expect a huge response, but I have actually had no response whatsoever. I am still very keen on buying any WHA or YC cards. I am also very keen on getting any information that anyone has on these publishers. My email address is santadog99 at yahoo.com.
I am a little disappointed by several ebay postcard dealers who have simply copied and pasted my info in the above post into their auctions. In one case a dealer forwarded my own text to me in an email!

I have done quite a bit of research lately - I am seriously considering publishing a book about YC and WHA. Their cards are so inextricably linked it would be wrong to do any book about one without the other.

With regard to the prolific publisher YC - I can now report that he was Richard Charles Young of 142 High St Teddington (later moved to 168 in 1909). YC stood for "Young and Co".

I have done a lot of research into Mr Applebee, but I am reluctant to post it here for the reasons mentioned above.

It would appear that Mr Applebee bought Mr Young's entire stock around 1913 and "rebranded" it as WHA. I have a pretty large collection of postcards by both publishers.
My list of WHA numbers is over 550 - I must find somewhere where I can publish the list online.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi. I thought the Y&C was Young & Cooper. I have a couple of their cards, but in my own collection of castle postcards.

santadog99

Post by santadog99 »

Yes, the Y&C you refer to is Young and Cooper, a Kent publisher I believe.

The YC I'm interested in is YC of Teddington, Middlesex.

Here's a typical YC of Chertsey, showing his distinctive script on the right and the YC monogram in the bottom left

lilyliz179

Re: Wanted: WHA and YC postcards

Post by lilyliz179 »

Hello!
This is probably far too late but.... I have a collection of postcards passed down by my Grandfather who lived and worked in the Hampton Hill district at the beginning of the 1900s. Some have WH and a number and others are Young & Co, including Suffragettes, Coronation of George v etc.

Please get in touch if you are still interested.

santadog99

Post by santadog99 »

Hello lilyliz179, I have sent you a pm

lilyliz179

Post by lilyliz179 »

Hello - I have sent a couple of emails ( Saturday)