Castles

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

Andrew

Castles

Post by Andrew »

I collect postcards of English, Welsh and Scottish castles, preferably pre-1940.
I am looking particularly for one of Canterbury Castle - the keep, not the Dane John Mound. I have been searching for a number of years, and attended the postcard fairs in Canterbury many times, but never come across an old postcard of the keep.

I am also searching for postcards showing the prints produced by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck in the 1700s.

Many thanks
Andrew

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Well, finally found one of Canterbury Keep on e-Bay. Anyone seen an antique postcard of West Malling Castle, also known as St.Leonard's Tower, from Kent.
Still very interested in postcards of the Buck brothers' prints too.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Now that the BBCode has be switched on again, for those who don't know what a print by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck looks like, here's an example of one I purchased last year.

http://www.castleduncan.com/forum/index ... st&id=3529

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Well, I finally found one of West Malling Castle on e-bay.

The Beak

Post by The Beak »

Hi Andrew,

I'm fairly new to postcards, however have come upon some postcards of Crosmont Castle - Courtyard, Great Hall, SW Tower etc.
Any interest?
Regards,
D.

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Thanks for your kind offer, but no thank you. I assume you mean Grosmont Castle - of which I already have a number of postcards. I hope you find a home for them.

Martin

Re: Castles

Post by Martin »

Hello Andrew,

I have an old postcard of Caerphilly Castle. Writern on the front is "Caerphilly Castle, visited by the King & Queen, July 13th 1907".
It's published by T.J.Davies, Stationer, Castle Street, Caerphilly.

Also a B&W postcard of Lympne Castle - New Wing.

Any interest?

Regards, Steve

andyk

Post by andyk »

Andrew

I am also a collector of castle postcards - mostly UK, but some Irish and other countries. My collection covers all periods and over time I have got a large number of pre 1940 and some duplicates. I'm still struggling to sort through them and put into albums. So far 5000 are sorted, but twelve shoe boxes full are still to be sorted and I've so far got 5-600 duplicates. My particular interest are the 'official' cards for the Government run monuments and still have copies of the list of postcards you could buy through the post in the early 1970s. As I started collection in the early 1970's my main gaps tend to be the pre DOE cards (MPBW, Office of Works etc.)

I could e-mail you a list of pre-1940 duplicates if you wish, I'll avoid the popular subjects (Conway, Warwick, Kenilworth, Windsor if you wish). Not sure if you have any duplicates?

Andy

covers72

Post by covers72 »

I get this subject in foreign postcard lots and can help.
PM me for details
Best Regards, Mike Maniurski