Maximilian Or Valentin Guillon Postcards

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

nickyw_uk

Maximilian Or Valentin Guillon Postcards

Post by nickyw_uk »

I am looking for any postcards that are connected with either the name Maximilian Guillon or the name Valentin Guillon.

Maximilian was my Great Great Grandfather and Valentin was his Brother. They were both professional photographers from about the late 1800s to the late 1930's and have links with Brighton, Hove, Bristol, Poole, Croydon & London.

I have already found 3 postcards that Max took and one that Valentin took, but would LOVE to find loads more. For more info on Max and his postcards, you can visit this website:

http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/HoveGuillon.htm

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

An interesting story - what are your postcards of? They were in Thornton Heath by the time of the "postcard era" so presumably they are of local buildings of that area? Also, did they publish them themselves, or was a third party involved?
Kevin

nickyw_uk

Post by nickyw_uk »

kevinramsdale wrote:An interesting story - what are your postcards of? They were in Thornton Heath by the time of the "postcard era" so presumably they are of local buildings of that area? Also, did they publish them themselves, or was a third party involved?
Hi Kevin, thanks for your reply.

The buildings they took photos of are not all in the Thornton Heath area. Both Max and Valentin moved around a lot so we wondered if they were taking photos for local estate agents or perhaps for local architects.

I think they both published the postcards themselves. Actually, I think they were Carte De Visites, which I think is different to actual postcards. I'm not sure!

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

The web history does seem to refer only to carte de visites and cabinets, but the market for these declined dramatically with the advent of the postcard era, so it is likely that they did produce some postcard backed material from the Edwardian era onwards.
Kevin