Cornish Litany postcards

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

mlmtf6

Cornish Litany postcards

Post by mlmtf6 »

I'm interested in buying or trading for Cornish Litany postcards. They are sometimes referred to by other names such as Devon Litany, Scottish Litany, West Country (or Countrie) Litany, etc. The text of the card is the same though...

From Ghoulies and Ghosties
and Long-leggety Beasties
and all things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord deliver us!

I'm putting together a book showing all of the Cornish Litany postcards I've collected so far. If you have any in your collection that you do not want to trade or sell I would love to see a scan of it. If it's one that I don't already have, I would love to include it in my book.
Thank you,
Debby

Dave43

Re: Cornish Litany postcards

Post by Dave43 »

I did pick up one at out last fair at Redruth (cos it was cheap!) hoping to find out something about the artist, Sidney T Chaplin, but can't. To explain altho I live in Cornwall I collect London PC's (they're cheaper!) but need the occasional cornish card to keep the interest of the few members of our little stamp and postcard club! Do you know anything about him, are they local cards or national, just having Devon substituted for Cornish? Dave

mlmtf6

Post by mlmtf6 »

Hi Dave, I sure wish I had answers to your question but it seems that almost everything surrounding the Cornish Litany is somewhat mysterious. I've been researching this topic for close to 2 years now and there isn't very much information available. I've been in touch with people from the Royal Institution of Cornwall and the Cornish Studies Library. Not much information was found but there is a reference to the Cornish souvenir industry using the litany in pokerwork items as early as the 1920's. I also contacted a gallery in London that specializes in British illustrators. They had no information on Chaplin. Check here if you want to see some of what I’ve found…

http://carverscompanion.com/Ezine/Vol12 ... endez.html

Please keep in touch if you find out anything new.

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

I'm not well in with the collecting fratternity in Cornwall, wonder if any of the leading lights know anything? I can ask John at our stamp club meeting (Tues) and Dougie Luxford who runs the postcard fairs at the next one (6th June) if i can get there, trouble is I've mislaid the card at present! Dave

mlmtf6

Post by mlmtf6 »

I know Doug Luxford and I've been buying from him for a while now and he's the best... I don't believe I've ever asked him about Chaplin though. That's a good idea. :D

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

I found a Cornish Litany card on the AH Hawke of helston website, seen it?

mlmtf6

Post by mlmtf6 »

Thanks, yes I have seen it. After looking for one for a long time I finally found one to buy. It wasn't in the best conditon but will have to do until another comes along

collectaria

Post by collectaria »

am selling one of these look at ebay seller collectaria_com and it will be listed Sunday night at 8pm

mlmtf6

Post by mlmtf6 »

Thanks for the info... The card is the Hawke card? Any chance you could show the image here?

cariadg

Post by cariadg »

I have two postacrds.
No 3 and No 7. I will be auctioning on zillion. When I have come up with a price. Any help re pricing will be much appreciated. Thanks Margaret .
cariadg user name.

mlmtf6

Post by mlmtf6 »

I just sent you an email reply. Thanks :)

Dave43

Post by Dave43 »

Seen one on delcampe, have you, cheap as well newquay

mlmtf6

Post by mlmtf6 »

Thanks for the heads up. I have that one but I always appreciate being told about them :D

sdelcampe

Post by sdelcampe »

Hello,

Searching "Cornish Litany" on Delcampe:
http://postcards.delcampe.net/list.php? ... cription=Y

7 cards now :wink:

Seb Delcampe
Visit Delcampe's Online Postcards Auctions, no listing fee: http://www.delcampe.net/ :)

New! Watch our new videos for Delcampe's 10th anniversary (subtitled in english): http://delcampe.net/video_gallery.php?language=E

GonePostalBRB

Post by GonePostalBRB »

Wow! I haven't seen these postcards in ages. Sorry for posting in an older topic, but man, am I stoked. As a postcard collector, these are definitely valuable in my opinion. The fact that there's a place that's selling them is an absolutely delightful surprise! These Cornish Litany postcards are spooky yet kitschy in ever sense of the word. I LOVE it! If I can do the right conversions and pay the international shipping, I may find myself buying a few of these bad boys.

I wonder if anyone has ever used these postcards for marketing purposes. Man, I can only imagine the reaction to people using these cornish litany cards as direct mail to their customers. That'd be a hoot and a holler. XD

Welp, I'm rambling now. Thanks for all the info, guys!
Last edited by GonePostalBRB on Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.