Images by Publisher Salmon

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

tonyksalmoncards

Images by Publisher Salmon

Post by tonyksalmoncards »

I am trying to compile an image database of postcards published by J. Salmon of Sevenoaks, about 6,000 plus but my bank manager told me I couln't buy them all first. I have over 2,500 in my collection but at the rate of a few cards a week, I will still be collecting when I'm 150.
The Salmon series that I am interested in is the "Watercolour Series", numbered 501 to 4650 on the reverse side of the card.

The images I'm trying to get hold of are the less common ones and/or expensive cards that just don't come up for sale.
I have a list that I can send anyone that can help. The list is long, so I can break it out by number or artist or even town/county.
I can send the list in most common formats, xls, doc, pdf....

If anyone can help, please contact me by email 13tonykatgmail.com
(I need scanned images not photographs)

Thanks
Tony K

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Images by Publisher Salmon

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Try the Salmon Study Group :arrow: http://www.postcard.co.uk/salmon/index.htm -
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

MichaelDay
Site Admin

Post by MichaelDay »

I'm sure Salmon are one of the few companies where fairly complete listings do actually exist..
I had a set of photocopies of a Salmon produced listing some years back. I'll see if it's still around.

tonyksalmoncards

eastlondonpostcard wrote:Try the Salmon Study Group :arrow: http://www.postcard.co.uk/salmon/index.htm -
I am a member of the SSG, unfortunately the group does not have a digital copy of all the Salmon postcards.
There may be several members with their own digital collection but there is no library available to group members.
Thanks

tonyksalmoncards

MichaelDay wrote:I'm sure Salmon are one of the few companies where fairly complete listings do actually exist..
I had a set of photocopies of a Salmon produced listing some years back. I'll see if it's still around.
Michael, I did some research several years ago on Salmon and during the second World War their factory in London was destroyed by bombing.
All records were destroyed including those in the series that I am collectiong.

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

Slightly off topic & not directed at any of the above responses.

There will be many notable exceptions but Its surprising that study groups and clubs fail to establish web sites for members to display and document their collections. Many club sites are fairly static in content. It's easy (& often close to zero cost) to establish a vivid non commercial site. If your club has an internet aware member then a little enthusiasm is all that's needed. Club members could benefit from a shared database that they can contribute to and learn from. New members will be attracted via the internet presence of the 'shared' collection and so on. It's something that will bring new collectors into the hobby.

porphyryportal

Post by porphyryportal »

I have a Salmon cameracolour of Hereford. 1-32-03-07/3309c.

Someone who owned the card before me has marked it in pencil, 9/00.

Any interest?

chewbakka

Post by chewbakka »

Hi Tony, I have about 3500 images from the series of Salmon Watercolour artists 501-4660 on file, if you send me a list of your wanted images i will see what i can find. Chewbakka

Jack Fonda

Post by Jack Fonda »

I am aware of this, because the only time I ever to pay taxes is when I got a job today, and the employer sends me a tax form at the end of the year, etc..

Self-Publisher

porphyryportal

Post by porphyryportal »

I'm newish to this game, but I think I've come across an unusual Salmon postcard, because it's taken me ages to even work out where the place is. It's a drawing of 'Boswells, Oakwood' by the artist Ernest Christie. He grew up in Redhill, so I'm presuming Oakwood is the school near there. Postmark looks like 1926.

evelynknight

Post by evelynknight »

have 2506, 2501,2200,2198,1942,1941,1934,1933 (jersey images)also Salmon Series x1 with no number just "Gravure Style", and more recent Salmon "real photo" postcard 12962. If you need a copy of any of those images let me know.

samuelly29

Post by samuelly29 »

Hi,

I just came across a Salmon Series postcard. I think it is #2808. It was an old framed picture that I opened to see if there was an artist name or what. I was surprised to find it wasn't a painting at all but a postcard! Guess that is what they used in the old days for artwork! lol

Sam