Short, sharp messages

Post a list of cards you're looking for in this section.

Moderator: MichaelDay

Guy

Short, sharp messages

Post by Guy »

Hello

I've been collecting postcard messages for some years now, a la "What the postman saw" column in PPM. Although the fun is in the thrill of the chase (!) I wondered if posting a message here might help me find some more messages. At fairs there is no substitute for going through a stall card by card, but it does test the patience.

I only buy cards which are fully legible, stamped and about interesting things. These tend to be quite short (10-20 words).

I'm especially keen on:

coded and cryptic messages (For example one I bought recently reads "I hope you won that "competition"")

messages which are arranging times and places to meet (e.g. a trip to a theatre)

requests which reveal how life has changed (on another card a man asks his mum to send his second pair of trousers)

... I tend to steer clear of holiday messages.

If you think you might have something, let me know!

Best

Guy

guyatkins@gmail.com

Andrew

Re: Short, sharp messages

Post by Andrew »

Guy,

That's an interesting take on collecting postcards - one I've not come across before. Admittedly I look for the picture, but my wife is more interested in the social aspect of reading what I consider the "back" of the card. I might have some, but there again, I wouldn't know unless I removed the cards from the albums to look. Something for a "rainy summer"!!