Dating Postcard Photographs

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Baldlygo

Dating Postcard Photographs

Post by Baldlygo »

I am particularly interested in the old photographs on postcards and often find a shortage of dating clues on the reverse. I find myself checking up on features in the photographs. Here are a couple of examples:-

Road Numbers on Signposts
Started appear on the roads from 1923 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_road#.22B.22_roads

Automatic Traffic Lights
First experimental traffic light (as we know them today) installed in Wolverhampton 1927 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_light

Perhaps others could post examples as they come across them.
I would like to know when the oval 'Post Office' direction signs first appeared on top of post boxes.

Paul

normanfrank

dating postcards

Post by normanfrank »

Hi, As I have only recently registered, I was wondering if I did everything right, as I sent you a message suggesting two other potential indicators of postcard publication dates: presence/non-presence of Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee clocktowers (which many places erected to mark the event) and the changed design of telephone kiosks and there presence/non-presence at a particular location.[color=blue][/color] Let me know if you received message okay. Norman

Baldlygo

Post by Baldlygo »

Hi Norman - sorry I do not recall receiving any messages from you.

I was hoping people might add to this thread any more photo dating clues so that any members or visitors could use it as a reference.

Paul

jdcanada

Post by jdcanada »

I look to the age of automobiles ( perhaps easier with drastically changing styles in North America ).

Fashion of people. Long skirts on ladies. Umbrellas. Fashions changed over the decades, sometimes that's a tell tale sign.

Playles has an excellent stamp box and dating reference guide on their site. Probably includes mostly North American publishers. But it may have some of the UK and Europe on there. I'll have to go check.

Here's a link : http://www.playle.com/realphoto/

Janet in Canada

RAFPOL

Post by RAFPOL »

:D Hello Janet in Canada! I am not particularly interested in dating postcards myself. If a card is in a collectable condition and it fits into my collection, then it's age is of no importance to me. I collect comics and have often been told that this particular theme really is a "British Thing" I was wondering, does it have any degree of following in Canada? I have been collecting for more years than I care to remember!! As a result, I have built quite a collection of duplicates that I would dearly love to exchange. So far, no takers this side of the pond. Is there a Canadian collector sitting over there somewhere with my problem? "John Boy"

Dave43

Re: Dating Postcard Photographs

Post by Dave43 »

I collect London postcards, dating is made easier by knowledge of transport changes, London's are well chronicled. Recently I read that white lines were introduced in 1924 but can find no evidence on my London cards till much later. Also roundabouts in 1926 but traffic was not heavy enough to notice on PCs. Linked Traffic lights in Trafalgar Square in 1933, they do show. belisha beacons in1934 but not zebra crossings till 1949, belisha's would have been switched off during WWII. Cant find a definitive date for the dreaded yellow lines! One interesting card I did find, bank of England with traffic lights removed and vizors over keep left signs, obviously for the blackout in WWII. I have many cards showing the same subject, often subtley different. Like 2 Valentine cards, identical, but valentines have "touched up" the buses, from open top to double deckers! Dave

dickinsonron

Re: Dating Postcard Photographs

Post by dickinsonron »

Baldlygo wrote: Sat May 05, 2007 11:37 am I am particularly interested in the old photographs on postcards and often find a shortage of dating clues on the reverse. I find myself checking up on features in the photographs. Here are a couple of examples:-

Road Numbers on Signposts
Started appear on the roads from 1923 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B_road#.22B.22_roads

Automatic Traffic Lights
First experimental traffic light (as we know them today) installed in Wolverhampton 1927 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_lightwordle today

Perhaps others could post examples as they come across them.
I would like to know when the oval 'Post Office' direction signs first appeared on top of post boxes.

Paul
With my recent registration, I wanted to check if I did everything correctly. I sent you a message proposing two additional indicators of postcard publication dates: the presence or absence of Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee clocktowers, which were erected in many places to commemorate the event, and the altered design of telephone kiosks and their location.the text is blue in colorinstead of the color Please confirm that you have received this message. Norman was