Early aviation postcard

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Chippy

Early aviation postcard

Post by Chippy »

Hi

I have a postcard I would like to sell . It was with other cards and it caught my eye as it shows an early aviation scene in Torquay in July 1910. Does anyone on here have an interest in aviation cards? If so, could you give them a nudge to look at this thread please? I would like to sell it but do not Ebay

Many thanks for your help, in advance. By the way if anyone would like to comment on the postcard, or has any thoughts on what the plane or pilot is I would love to hear from you!

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Early aviation postcard

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

nice postcard of a popular theme - those early aviators loved to show off - is £4.50 the asking price, then? - I would be interested please
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

The price of £4.50 was what my father paid a number of years ago. I was hoping it was worth more than that.. maybe I am wrong!

If you wish you can PM or email me to gepck@aol.com

Many thanks

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

You should certainly get quite a bit more than the £4.50. You need to research the card first and try to identify the aeroplane. There's a big clue on the back "Torquay July 27th 1910". I might be wrong but this might be the aviation pioneer Claude Graham-White. White was disturbed by the failure of the British military decision makers to recognise the military potential of the aeroplane and to highlight the matter he flew his biplane over the Brisish Fleet which had been asembled off Torquay for Royal review. The flight took place on July 27th 1910. The date could just be a concidence and it's something that you need to confirm, a local library or newspaper might help, or perhaps via one of the aviation museums.

For more about White try wikipedia or http://earlyaviators.com/egrahcl1.htm

RE selling the card, eBay is probably going to be the best option for a wide audience and good price, if you don't do ebay yourself perhaps you have a friend you could sell it for you. Failing that take it along to a postcard fair and talk to the dealers.

A nice card..

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

About Postcards

What a post! Many many thanks for your reply. You have now given me so many leads for me to research. My father was a keen aviation man and would have bought as he thought it was an important subject I am sure.

I appreciate it so much

Many thanks

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

On that website link you showed me there is a postcard of White at Crystal Palace in July 1910. Same plane, same man! Fantasic. Many thanks agan!

CLAUDE GRAHAME-WHITE
"Cleril Garden Rendezvous"
Published by J. RUSSELL & SONS
Crystal Palace
July 18, 1910

TORQUAY TORRE ABBEY MEADOWS :
Claude Grahame-White in July 1910 made two flights in his Farman III from Torre Abbey at up to 1,000 feet over the assembled armada of warships drawn up in the bay.The occasion was the Coronation review of the Fleet by King George V and Queen Mary at Torbay

About Postcards

It's a real pleasure to have helped. For most postcard collectors much of the fun comes from the research and learning processes associated with each card.

Enjoy the postcard and finding out more.

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Just a final one.

With this knowledge can anyone give me a rought estimate of what it may be worth? I won't hold anyone to it, but I wish to make sure that when I go to a fair I get a fair price.

Many thanks in advance

About Postcards

On ebay you can expect it to reach between ten and twenty pounds, it all depends on whether you manage to attract multiple bidders. At a fair and if selling to a dealer you have to bear in mind that they have costs to cover and need to make a profit, so lower prices will prevail. Another option might be your local auction house thought they are much less likely to be interested in a single card.

If It were mine I'd try to form a small colection around it, I'd look for more about the aviator or for more general aviation postcards of the era. The process of assembling a collection can be rewarding in so many ways. You mention your dad being an aviation enthusiast; were there other items, is it something that you could develop further in memory of him and then hand on to the next generation....

Good luck whatever you decide to do

Chippy

Post by Chippy »

Many thanks for your advice

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I collect pre-WWI aviation cards relating to Salisbury Plain and expect to pay up to £20 for a good card (though I have gone madder than usual on occasion and bid up to £50 on eBay for elusive items). There were only a couple of local postcard publishers who bothered with aviation there and I guess there would have been far more in a resort like Torquay and they would have been out in force for an event so much in the public eye.

I don't know anything about trading but perhaps a dealer would offer you between 35% and 50% of what he thinks (s)he could get for it???

Moonraker

(I''ve just entered "Grahame-White" into the eBay search box and there are quite a few postcards on offer, mainly from the USA, with some very reasonable prices. Note that some photographs are also on offer, and these are usually worth far less than PCs.)

MelissaDaisy99

Post by MelissaDaisy99 »

Well, great work! You have helped me to improve my knowledge about this field. Thank you so much for sharing.