Queen Victoria Jubilee 1837-1897

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

mothepro

Queen Victoria Jubilee 1837-1897

Post by mothepro »

Hi,

I have a postcard from the Jubilee, it was postally used in 1897 however the stamp has been removed. There are still postmarks though.

The postcard has pictures of the Queen, Trafalgar Square, Tower Bridge and Houses of Parliament and the words 'Dieu Et Mon Droit'.

The postcard was given to me by someone who claims it has a high worth of over £400 - however I cannot find any reference to this postcard online. Does anyone know any information about it and whether it is indeed that valuable?

Many thanks!

About Postcards

Re: Queen Victoria Jubilee 1837-1897

Post by About Postcards »

Without the stamp much will depend on the card itself and it's condition.

With the postage stamp and if it were posted on or around the Jubilee date then a price upwards from £100 might be possible at a stretch.

Without the stamp the value will be significantly lower.

If you have an image of the postcard that you can provide a link to, that will help. In the absence of an image, publisher details could also help. Failing all the above, it's probably best to take the card along to an antiques or postcard fair and get a dealer to take a look for you.

mothepro

Post by mothepro »

Cant seem to upload the pictures - it keeps saying

Could not upload attachment to ./files/3099_21021913bd0d65145025424031c01bd5

About Postcards

To add images to messages you first need to upload them to an image hosting site ( photobucket.com, picasa.com, and there are others). Once uploaded to a picture hosting site you can add a link to the image in your message by clicking on the'URL' tag above the message box when you enter your message and paste in the web link to the picture.

mothepro

Post by mothepro »

About Postcards

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but......

I've seen the card before, same images and design but in colour. With the damage from stamp removal I'm afraid it's unlikely to raise anything like the value that has been suggested to you. There is a Danish postcard dealer on the Delcampe website who has been offering a copy of the card (also stamp removed with a scrape) for sale since 2008, his current suggested price is 50 Euro but thus far there are no takers though the price seems a fair one.

It's a shame the stamps have gone, they would have helped the price.

Perhaps the best thing to do with it is to make it a starting point for a collection of Victorian postcards ?

mothepro

Post by mothepro »

I suspected the price was inflated.

Thanks for your help.

Maurice