Postcard took 27 years to be delivered

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

Midgy

Postcard took 27 years to be delivered

Post by Midgy »

We have a postcard which was sent from jersey to Southampton the initial postmark from the jersey sorting office is 1970 and the receiving postmark in south Hampton is 1997! Would this be of any value and if so does anyone have an idea how much?

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Postcard took 27 years to be delivered

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Wow! - that is unusual and a newsworthy item, indeed. I would say that it has a value above the Postcard itself if it is genuine - but, hard to put an exact price on it? There are collectors of 'oddities' like this in the stamp world as well who would snap it up, I'm sure.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Stories of much-delayed mail crop up in the papers from time to time - there was one two or three years ago of a postcard sent by a soldier in the Great War which finally got to its address almost a century later. Now I suppose it's possible that a card or envelope could have dropped down behind a stack of Post Office pigeon-holes but there can't be that many post/sorting offices that have survived with their original furniture for that long.

Quite often at a fair I spot a tatty old card with an address local to me and for half-a-second think that for the sake of 50p (for the card) wouldn't it be a wheeze to pop around and push it through the letter-box or even post it again. And people quite often must come across old cards in a drawer or memento box at home or even as a bookmark and decide to re-post it.

Invariably the press find it a good reason to knock the Post Office.

Moonraker

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

On at least one occasion a packet of old cards being sent to me has come open in transit, and arrived with some of the contents missing - it's quite possible that some of the contents ended up being delivered to the original addressee.
Kevin

joy9393

Post by joy9393 »

Quite often at a fair I spot a tatty old card with an address local to me and for half-a-second think that for the sake of 50p (for the card) wouldn't it be a wheeze to pop around and push it through the letter-box or even post it again. And people quite often must come across old cards in a drawer or memento box at home or even as a bookmark and decide to re-post it.