A J Padgett

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

A J Padgett

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

Anyone have any information about this publisher? I have a considerable number in the 'Haven' series which feature views of Canvey Island in Essex. They are all nice real photo type views.

I know that he (?) also produced views of Benfleet, Leigh and Southend as well and puts an address of Leigh-on-sea -

Does anyone have a list, I wonder? - be interested to hear.....
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

eastlondonpostcard

Re: A J Padgett

here's one:

eastlondonpostcard

...believe there were some done by Padgett of Naval Ships down Southampton way ......

About Postcards

Post by About Postcards »

No list but some information that should help you get one.

It seems that your man is Alfred John Padgett of Leigh on Sea

Alfred John Padgett ran a postcard business in Leigh on Sea and, later with his son, a wholesale stationers from 1 Station Road in the same town in the name of "AJ & A Padgett".

Southend Museums Service have copies of glass plates by A J Padgett and a search of the Essex Records Office archive for "Alfred John Padgett" returns several results, the most relevant of which is "D/DS 338 " "modern copies of glass negatives of Alfred Padgett of Leigh" which is described as follows....
"MODERN COPIES OF GLASS NEGATIVES OF ALFRED PADGETT OF LEIGH
Repository: Essex Record Office
Level: Category Estate and Family records
Level: Fonds MODERN COPIES OF GLASS NEGATIVES OF ALFRED PADGETT OF LEIGH
Reference Code D/DS 338
Title [MODERN COPIES OF GLASS NEGATIVES OF ALFRED PADGETT OF LEIGH]
Scope and Content Photographic prints and copy negatives, made in March and July 1982 from original glass negatives [held by Southend Museums Service] of Alfred John Padgett, photographer of Leigh.

The original negatives, all of south-east Essex, were made by Padgett between 1897 and c.1937 for his postcard business.. The prints and copy negatives have been arranged here by parish, and then by Padgett's own reference numbers (shown in brackets).".
I suspect Southend local authority / library will be able to furnish you with a list....
Hope the above helps
KInd regards
Linda

eastlondonpostcard

About Postcards wrote:No list but some information that should help you get one.

It seems that your man is Alfred John Padgett of Leigh on Sea

Alfred John Padgett ran a postcard business in Leigh on Sea and, later with his son, a wholesale stationers from 1 Station Road in the same town in the name of "AJ & A Padgett".

Southend Museums Service have copies of glass plates by A J Padgett and a search of the Essex Records Office archive for "Alfred John Padgett" returns several results, the most relevant of which is "D/DS 338 " "modern copies of glass negatives of Alfred Padgett of Leigh" which is described as follows....
"MODERN COPIES OF GLASS NEGATIVES OF ALFRED PADGETT OF LEIGH
Repository: Essex Record Office
Level: Category Estate and Family records
Level: Fonds MODERN COPIES OF GLASS NEGATIVES OF ALFRED PADGETT OF LEIGH
Reference Code D/DS 338
Title [MODERN COPIES OF GLASS NEGATIVES OF ALFRED PADGETT OF LEIGH]
Scope and Content Photographic prints and copy negatives, made in March and July 1982 from original glass negatives [held by Southend Museums Service] of Alfred John Padgett, photographer of Leigh.

The original negatives, all of south-east Essex, were made by Padgett between 1897 and c.1937 for his postcard business.. The prints and copy negatives have been arranged here by parish, and then by Padgett's own reference numbers (shown in brackets).".
I suspect Southend local authority / library will be able to furnish you with a list....
Hope the above helps
KInd regards
Linda
Great stuff - many thanks Linda -

Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Hi I have just joined this group and found it by chance while searching for photos by Alfred Padgett.

Alfred Padgett is a relation of mine. His son Alan Padgett was married to my grandmother's sister Mabel Webb. I have tried to find out what happened to their collection of photographs and understand that they are kept at Southend Museums and I have been in touch with Mr Ken Crowe the Keeper Human History at the museum.

I have a booklet called “Southend Then & Now” produced in 1994 by Southend Museums Service which has many of Alfred Padgett's photographs and is a great little book containing about 45 old photographs of Southend and the surrounding villages.

eastlondonpostcard

Tweety wrote:Hi I have just joined this group and found it by chance while searching for photos by Alfred Padgett.

Alfred Padgett is a relation of mine. His son Alan Padgett was married to my grandmother's sister Mabel Webb. I have tried to find out what happened to their collection of photographs and understand that they are kept at Southend Museums and I have been in touch with Mr Ken Crowe the Keeper Human History at the museum.

I have a booklet called “Southend Then & Now” produced in 1994 by Southend Museums Service which has many of Alfred Padgett's photographs and is a great little book containing about 45 old photographs of Southend and the surrounding villages.
Hello - many thanks for the great information - looks like a trip to Southend to find out more ....

postcard pete

Post by postcard pete »

Hi Tweety

Its Postcard Pete here. I have over 700 copies of Padgett postcards in my collection and am always on the lookout for more.

I have a few cards that were sent between members of the Padgett family on a holiday visit to Leigh in the Summer of 1921.

Best wishes

Peter

blue.bear

Post by blue.bear »

Thanks for sharing such useful informations.

Bernard Newbury

Post by Bernard Newbury »

I have just found this site and I live in Mr Padgett's old house in Leigh on sea. The Padgett family were the only other owners apart from us and when we moved in we found a lot of his postcards and the original mortgage book. All his old photographic equipment went to a museum and I converted his studios into a workshop and have work there for the last 30 odd years.

eastlondonpostcard

Bernard Newbury wrote:I have just found this site and I live in Mr Padgett's old house in Leigh on sea. The Padgett family were the only other owners apart from us and when we moved in we found a lot of his postcards and the original mortgage book. All his old photographic equipment went to a museum and I converted his studios into a workshop and have work there for the last 30 odd years.
Great information - many thanks!