British Postcard Printer - Red Anchor

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

antoine

British Postcard Printer - Red Anchor

Post by antoine »

Help - I would like to identify the British printing company that printed picture postcards circa 1902. The
wording on the undivided back of postcards this company printed have the words "POST (image of anchor) CARD"
in red lettering. This company printed some of the earliest picture postcards of the Turks Islands and Grand
Turk Island. Can anyone identify this printing company? I can email you a scan of the postcard back if you
will send my your email address.

Thanks, Antoine

davidnugget

Re: British Postcard Printer - Red Anchor

Post by davidnugget »

John Walker & Co., Ltd. (1903-1910)

I think they were publishers rather than printers.

see
http://www.metropostcard.com/publishersw.html
David

antoine

Post by antoine »

David, Thanks for your info on the "red anchor" printer. I have 5-6 picture postcards of the Turks Islands (Grand Turk Island) that were printed by the "red anchor" printer in the UK. I have read your link. Do you have any other information on this printer or publisher (John Walker & Co)? Thanks,

Antoine

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

antoine wrote:David, Thanks for your info on the "red anchor" printer. I have 5-6 picture postcards of the Turks Islands (Grand Turk Island) that were printed by the "red anchor" printer in the UK. I have read your link. Do you have any other information on this printer or publisher (John Walker & Co)? Thanks,

Antoine
John Walker (& Co., Ltd) set up a publishing business in London in 1880. An outstanding series of postcards: Walker's Geographical Postcards was started in 1903 followed by a wide range of subjects and series of postcards. Many of their postcards carry no name of publisher, only identified by the Anchor trade mark.
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

antoine

Post by antoine »

David,
Thank you again for this information on the John Walker & Co. Do you have any examples of his
"Red Anchor" logo? I am away from my desktop computer where I have all my postcards right
now. You could email me an example to me at: tinqua@midcoast.com

I will email you my examples when I get back home next week if you will send me your email address.

I also have a series of 8-10 picture postcards all from an unknown, to me, printer. They are
a border only at the bottom and all have a yellowish hue to them. They probably were printed in
the UK or Germany, but the backs have no identifying info. I could email you an example.

Thanks again.

antoine