Happithought and Arcadian Series

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

normanfrank

Happithought and Arcadian Series

Post by normanfrank »

Is there anyone with information on the HAPPITHOUGHT Series? The postally-used ones I have
(of Exmouth, Devon) have postal dates of the 1950's. But I think the images are all from an earlier period.
They are poor quality cards - poor processing on poor card. I assume that this could have been because of
the lack of good quality materials so soon after the war. Was Happithought a company in its own right, or was it a
trade-name for a better-known publishing company which wanted to keep a bit of distance from itself and this rather poor
product?

Also, who produced the ARCADIAN Series? Strangely, the ones I have all have the same number code: A379/1120. I have never found
a postally-used example. I guess visitors found them too poor to buy! They are printed on flimsy card and there is a border. The images
are "coloured", but very faint and the printing process, from what were not very good photographs anyway, is very low-grade indeed.

Any information would be very welcome.

deanosaur1972

Re: Happithought and Arcadian Series

Post by deanosaur1972 »

On the Arcadian Series I have a couple - both with different number codes and have been through the post:

St Michaels Church Sittingbourne Kent - A379/1131 - posted 1922

Isaac Watts' Statue Southampton Hampshire Postcard - A352/1121 - posted, but date is unclear either 1910, 1913 or 1916

So presumably there are series between A352 and A379 between those years. I might dig out the Southampton one and see if I can narrow down the date for you.

But I have no further information other than that. And yes I agree about the publishing quality! The chances are I will probably have a few more that are still remaining in boxes and I think a couple sold a year ago.

Hope that helps in some way...

Dean

normanfrank

Post by normanfrank »

Thanks,Dean. Getting the postal dates is helpful. I am still trying to find out who Arcadian were and where they were based.
Best regards, Norm.

Jim Sweasey

Post by Jim Sweasey »

A follow up on the Arcadian Series. I have in my possession 5 postcards of Southampton ref A352/1121.
They have not been posted but where the stamps would be put are the words " A half penny stamp for inland, one penny foreign" Presumably this would give them an approximate date if investigated. They came in a tatty cover marked "The Arcadian Series - 6 Southampton View Post Cards for 1d. Phototone (Plate Marked and Enamelled). Specially printed for The Arcadian Bazaar Co, Head office London. Does any one know if these are of any value and approximate date?

Hope this helps.

Jim Sweasey.

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

normanfrank wrote:Thanks,Dean. Getting the postal dates is helpful. I am still trying to find out who Arcadian were and where they were based.
Best regards, Norm.
Well, the Arcadian series is generally attributed to J Samuels Ltd who had several large shops in London selling postcards issued by many publishers - #150 Strand was referred to as the 'Postcard Depot' - they appear to have registered the company, known as 'Postcards Limited' in 1908.

They produced several London views with the initials 'JS' preceding the number - unfortunately I do not have any of these to hand to illustrate

Hope it helps.......
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

deanosaur1972

Post by deanosaur1972 »

Think I may have tracked them down.............

Firstly here is an image of the Southampton one I mentioned previously and I can confirm the postal date as 1916.

I believe the Arcadian Series used to be the Arcadia Bazaar Series - very similar coding and use of large borders - the same horseshoe logo on the back.

The Arcadia Bazaar Co also known as A B Co was based at 32 High Street in Ramsgate. They probably moved from those premises at some point to London as they branched out producing postcards from more distant places around the country.

normanfrank

Post by normanfrank »

deanosaur1972 wrote:Think I may have tracked them down.............

Firstly here is an image of the Southampton one I mentioned previously and I can confirm the postal date as 1916.

I believe the Arcadian Series used to be the Arcadia Bazaar Series - very similar coding and use of large borders - the same horseshoe logo on the back.

The Arcadia Bazaar Co also known as A B Co was based at 32 High Street in Ramsgate. They probably moved from those premises at some point to London as they branched out producing postcards from more distant places around the country.
Just got back after a stay in Devon and saw your email. Thank you, once again, deanosaur. I very much appreciate the work you've done in response to my question. The above information is very helpful and now places the small collection I have of Exmouth images ( all unused) into their period context. Very best regards, Norman.

normanfrank

Post by normanfrank »

Jim Sweasey wrote:A follow up on the Arcadian Series. I have in my possession 5 postcards of Southampton ref A352/1121.
They have not been posted but where the stamps would be put are the words " A half penny stamp for inland, one penny foreign" Presumably this would give them an approximate date if investigated. They came in a tatty cover marked "The Arcadian Series - 6 Southampton View Post Cards for 1d. Phototone (Plate Marked and Enamelled). Specially printed for The Arcadian Bazaar Co, Head office London. Does any one know if these are of any value and approximate date?

Hope this helps.

Jim Sweasey.

Hi, Jim. Have just caught up with my messages. Thank you very much for your interest and for this information. It has helped me a lot and I also now know that Arcadian were producing their cards certainly in the early part of the 20th century. Your reply is very much appreciated. Very best regards, Norman

wayne rodwell

Post by wayne rodwell »

Just going through my cards. I have an Arcadian card for

The Lake, Golders Hill Park (Surrey ?)

ref A405/1171 with the letters F.A.P. in front

regards, Wayne