Which is the Front, and which is the Back?

Welcome to the postcard.co.uk board, for discussion on all aspects of the hobby. You'll need to register to post but this only takes a few seconds and gives you access to more of the features and options available. Please read the the HOW to REGISTER article first. thanks

Moderator: MichaelDay

BobG

Which is the Front, and which is the Back?

Post by BobG »

Hi everyone. a bone of contention, perhaps. Which side of a postcard do members consider to be the Front, and which side do they consider to be the Back? Wikipedia seems to suggest that the side with the address, irrespective of whether it is shows a divided ‘back’ or not is indeed the back, and that the side which has the photo or is blank for a larger message is the front. I would personally opt for this.

On the other hand, I’ve got a card here that has a ‘divided back’ that states, on that side: “This space, as well as the Back [note the capital ‘B’], may be used for Communication.” (Opposite it states: “The Address ONLY to be written here.”). This clearly suggests the ‘back’ is the side over from the address/message side. Incidentally, there isn’t any room on the other side, as it has a photo, albeit with a white border.

I'm new to postcard collecting, I hasten to add!

eastlondonpostcard
Location: https://www.ebid.net/uk/users/20sent06/all-about-me/

Re: Which is the Front, and which is the Back?

Post by eastlondonpostcard »

A good question! Again no easy answer as opinion will vary... is it simply down to whether you regard the 'picture' side of the Post Card or the address/message side as more relevant or important... however, I believe that most people would regard the 'picture' side of the card as the front and the address/message side as the back. Commonly in France they place the stamp on the picture side; therefore regarding this as the 'back' - maybe?

Many dealers might add 'wtf' - written on front - in their descriptions of their sales, meaning there is writing on the picture side - and in doing so inferring that the 'back' is the address/stamp side... hmmm... does that make it true?

There is no real rule to apply here, just what has been taken for granted; viz: 'picture' is the front 'address/stamp' is the back. You decide!

:D
~ send it on a Postcard please ~

AshleyK

Post by AshleyK »

" Commonly in France they place the stamp on the picture side"

I must say you surprised me with this! Also it made me realize that I have never received a postcard from France, what a shame. Do you perhaps know why? Why put a stamp on the front. By the way, here is my clear stance on the matter, front is the picture side and back in the message side.
Do you know of any other countries that have such an original way of stamp placing?
And now excuse me I am going to look for pen pals in France!

kevinramsdale

Post by kevinramsdale »

" Commonly in France they place the stamp on the picture side"

They certainly did that a lot in the Edwardian era - but I don't think they have in more recent times, I can't recall seeing a "modern" postcard with the stamp on the front?
Kevin

davidnugget

Post by davidnugget »

Postal authorities have always described the side with the address on as the front, which is logical as letters for instance have the address on the front.
Nearly everybody else describes the picture side as the front.
An article (in French but goole will translate it) is here:
https://museedelacartepostale.fr/recto- ... -postales/